The Student Room Group

Odds of getting into my chosen unis for maths with my UMS scores?

I am thinking of applying for Maths at Oxford, Imperial, Bath, UCL and Manchester.

My grades are:

Maths & Further Maths Edexcel (94.3 overall average):
C1 - 100
C2 - 100
C3 - 98
D1 - 95
S1 - 94
M1 -90
FP1 - 83... (such a disappointment)

Next year modules: C4, FP2, FP3, S2, M2

Physics AQA (256/300 = 85.3%):
Unit 1 - 104/120 = 87%
Unit 2 - 104/120 = 87%
Practical - 48/60 = 80%

Chemistry OCR - 276/300 = 92%, German AQA - 97% but I guess they're both irrelevant.

I am very saddened by my FP1 and, to a lesser extent, M1 performances as I believe they don't reflect my mathematical ability. Physics written papers were also a bit of a shocker, so I am waiting for my teacher's advice on whether I should get them remarked. I was actually hoping to apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford but I guess my UMS averages would be too low for Cam. With that being said, I realise that Oxford also has its difficulties in terms of admission process and so is maybe just slightly easier to get admitted to than Cam.

My other choices are also very competitive and all have great maths courses; therefore, getting offers from them will also be a big challenge. I just would like to hear your opinions on my chances of being admitted to the above-mentioned maths courses and if you'd like to know any additional info, please do not hesitate to ask. Any advice would also be very much appreciated!

P.S. I am international and have attended a UK Sixth Form for only a year now, so I apologise for any grammatical mistakes in advance.
Oxford use the MAT test and interviews as a big part of their entry, and as far as I'm aware they care less about UMS than Cambridge do. So do well in MAT and you'll be fine.

Your UMS are excellent, most universities don't even ask for them, so apply to where ever the hell you like and you won't be at any disadvantage.
Cambridge is worth a shot if you'd prefer to go there!! ^_^ Your average UMS for maths is over 96% ignoring FP1, which is about what I got in my first year. If your personal statement and reference are good enough for them to overlook slightly eh results in FP1 and physics (although your results aren't bad, everything is still a solid A) then they should still invite you for interview, which will probably decide if they give you an offer. Honestly I think with almost 100% scores in the core maths units you have a good chance of getting invited to interview at either of Oxbridge, so a lot if it will come down to how you perform there (plus MAT if you go for Oxford, and STEP if you go for Cambridge and get an offer). :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest