The Student Room Group

Studying Economics at Uni (will give points to quick replies)

Hi, i'd like to study economics at uni
my AS grades are -
Chemistry A
Biology A
Maths A
Economics C
Is it possible to still study economics? If so, where?/ what A2 grades?
Reply 1
Original post by lchoudhry
Hi, i'd like to study economics at uni
my AS grades are -
Chemistry A
Biology A
Maths A
Economics C
Is it possible to still study economics? If so, where?/ what A2 grades?

Yeah your subjects are fine.

Probably most places really - Perhaps unis like Bristol/Exeter/Durham etc will take you without many issues
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Yeah your subjects are fine.

Probably most places really - Perhaps unis like Bristol/Exeter/Durham etc will take you without many issues

What subjects would i be looking at taking into A2 Biology Chemistry Maths
or Economics Chemistry Maths?

Also what do you think of Queen Mary?
Reply 3
What subjects would i be looking at taking into A2 Biology Chemistry Maths
or Economics Chemistry Maths?

Also what do you think of Queen Mary?

Hmmm depends... was it only one or both econ exams which slipped up on?

Either combo is fine and won't necessarily mean the end of the world if you drop economics (maths is all you need really).

Qmul is pretty good, right in london which is nice for some though i hear it has a slightly odd campus - I think if memory recalls, it asks for AAB
I wouldnt suggest dropping economics as it would send the wrong indication to your unis since you want to study economics for atleast 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Hmmm depends... was it only one or both econ exams which slipped up on?

Either combo is fine and won't necessarily mean the end of the world if you drop economics (maths is all you need really).

Qmul is pretty good, right in london which is nice for some though i hear it has a slightly odd campus - I think if memory recalls, it asks for AAB

I got 77 UMS in Micro and 60 in Macro.. :/
Reply 6
Original post by kiirankapoor
I wouldnt suggest dropping economics as it would send the wrong indication to your unis since you want to study economics for atleast 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if it means that with Maths Bio chem i could be looking at A* A* A
whereas with Maths Chem Econ i would be looking at A* A* B
Even if it means that with Maths Bio chem i could be looking at A* A* A
whereas with Maths Chem Econ i would be looking at A* A* B

I think you should look at which unis you would like to go to and see what their minimum grade requirements are and whether economics is required or desirable for their course. If economics is required and the grade requirement is lower than A*A*A then apply. If you find unis where economics is not essential but ask for A*A*A and you would prefer to apply there then go for those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I got 77 UMS in Micro and 60 in Macro.. :/

Well all i can say is that your mircro is pretty good but a retake in macro would help. A friend was in a similar position to you but retook the macro paper and bumped his low B to an A! Honestly, you won't really have to revise for this chapter at all since economics A2 is very synoptic with AS which macro easily being the most. I cant really think of a topic in AS macro that isnt in A2 :wink:

But A level economics is nothing like degree level economics, thus would be fine to drop even if you were to study it since admissions understand that its not exactly as challenging to what degree level economics offers (I think Oxford mentioned on a post that they were fine with students dropping a level computing for CS degrees, so i presume the same for others)

Quick Reply

Latest