The Student Room Group

Coffee

I'm sick of all these frivolous question threads about inconsequential trivialities. I've got a question far more serious in nature. How many school staff rooms come equipped with coffee machines? Is it just the more well-off schools? I've visited some with urns of fresh coffee, and others just with a kettle and a jar of Nescafe instant. I feel like this may be an important factor when I eventually come to choose a school to work at.

Scroll to see replies

My school has a dishwasher. Far more important tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Schools I've worked at/trained at:

No machine, kettle. Further Education establishment.

Free coffee machine. Would run out of hot chocolate by break time. When Ofsted came, it ran out of coffee by lunch time. Inner London mixed school.

No machine, but hot water dispensers and free coffee/hot chocolate/tea at break time. Outer London girls' school.

No machine, but hot water dispensers and free coffee/hot chocolate/tea at break time. Outer London boys' school.

Urns of coffee and hot water in the staff room at break time. Inner London mixed school.

No machine, but hot water dispensers and free coffee/hot chocolate/tea at break time. Inner London boys' school.

I don't think it's whether the school's well off - more their priorities. The first on my list didn't care about their staff, so no efforts were made. The second expected their staff to work insane amounts, with compulsory after-school clubs and the expectation that every lesson should be accompanied with reams of planning paperwork for fear of a drop-in observation. The school ran on caffeine and terror. Machine not working? Teachers not happy.

I find a free cup of coffee for all staff at break time, made by a human being, is much more civilized, and prevents caffeine overdose.
Reply 3
We had a coffee machine at ours (Senseo) but you'd be surprised at how stupid people are. It broke because people couldn't be bothered to learn how to use it properly, basically :tongue: and so it wasn't replaced. Instant now for us! I have a good coffee machine at home though (grinds the beans for me :biggrin: ) so that I tend to have a caffeine injection at the start of the day and not need the top-ups at work so much. So invest at home would be my advice :smile:
We don't even have drinkable water in most of the school unless you boil it first.

:frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
We have a kettle in the English office which we go to the staff room to fill up with water. We all put in for tea/coffee/milk/biscuits.
I think I'm going to need something stronger than coffee the way these pre PGCE nerves are coming on.

:redface:
Original post by Mr M
We don't even have drinkable water in most of the school unless you boil it first.

:frown:

A joke, right?
I would try and find something slightly less addictive and caffeine-heavy than coffee, to be honest. You'll be rushing around a lot and won't really have time to be nipping to get a coffee 2/3 times a day. It's much more practical if you take a 2 litre bottle of water/squash for the day or something. Not to mention that caffeine withdrawal is not what you want while on placement.
Original post by Juichiro
A joke, right?

Not this time.
Original post by Mr M
Not this time.

Where are you working, Mr. McDonalds? :eek: Is the school struggling so much with the finances? It is sort of ironic if they do because they have you. :tongue:
I found out the other day how much my school gets for building works, repairs etc each year. It's a miracle this country's schools are still standing if that's the norm. Unsuitable drinking water doesn't surprise me at all.
Reply 12
Original post by Threefold
I would try and find something slightly less addictive and caffeine-heavy than coffee, to be honest. You'll be rushing around a lot and won't really have time to be nipping to get a coffee 2/3 times a day. It's much more practical if you take a 2 litre bottle of water/squash for the day or something. Not to mention that caffeine withdrawal is not what you want while on placement.

Oh, I'm a massive coffee fan but I only drink it once a day - I'm no caffeine junkie.
Reply 13
Original post by Squoosh25
I'm sick of all these frivolous question threads about inconsequential trivialities. I've got a question far more serious in nature. How many school staff rooms come equipped with coffee machines? Is it just the more well-off schools? I've visited some with urns of fresh coffee, and others just with a kettle and a jar of Nescafe instant. I feel like this may be an important factor when I eventually come to choose a school to work at.

If you're really into coffee, just take a french press and ground coffee with you and leave them at work.
Reply 14
Original post by pjm600
If you're really into coffee, just take a french press and ground coffee with you and leave them at work.

Oh I definitely will, but a coffee machine would be preferable!
Original post by Juichiro
Where are you working, Mr. McDonalds? :eek: Is the school struggling so much with the finances? It is sort of ironic if they do because they have you. :tongue:

It's not that unusual. Listed Victorian building without drinking water (I'm guessing but I expect the water system includes a big water tank where critters could crawl in to die).
Good to know our teachers have their priorities straight.
Original post by pjm600

Anyone who's really into coffee won't drink it from one of those disgusting things...
Reply 18
Original post by Angelil
Anyone who's really into coffee won't drink it from one of those disgusting things...

Actually, the common consensus among coffee aficionados is that the French press is the best way to get a decent brew without splurging on a very high-end coffee machine. It's meant to be a good deal better than using cheap filter coffee machines. Of course, the sort of coffee you buy makes a lot of difference as to how it will taste.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending