The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Is Plymouth's UKCAT cutoff lower than Exeter's? Looking at a couple of threads, it seems to be, but they used to be part of the same medical school so I would have expected them to keep on with very similar cutoffs? :/

My UKCAT was really weird!
VR: 550
QR: 810
AR: 660
DA: 650
SJ: Band 1

Is my low VR score going to be a problem? And my AR and DA scores weren't particularly great either :frown:
I've decided not to apply here, as I think my DA score of 660 is just too risky, and I'd be safer applying to UEA. Good luck with all your applications though guys :smile:
Reply 22
Do you think I would have a chance of interview with AAA predictions, but 4th AS level pending (need to do a resit to get C).
UKCAT: 640, 740,690, 690.

Is it a question of if you meet the criteria you get an interview, or is there an element of subjectivity? Thanks.
hoping the DA cutoff goes down quite a bit this year
Reply 24
Original post by Mehhhh
I think that internationals are given A*AA offers whilst home applicants are given AAA offers.

Yes, if your DA score is below the set threshold, you'll be rejected regardless of how great the rest of your application is :frown:

Plymouth select applicants based on A Level predictions/achieved (must be AAA) and the UKCAT subsection scores. The PS isn't used.

Nope

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by cwi111
Is Plymouth's UKCAT cutoff lower than Exeter's? Looking at a couple of threads, it seems to be, but they used to be part of the same medical school so I would have expected them to keep on with very similar cutoffs? :/

My UKCAT was really weird!
VR: 550
QR: 810
AR: 660
DA: 650
SJ: Band 1

Is my low VR score going to be a problem? And my AR and DA scores weren't particularly great either :frown:

My UKCAT is SO similar to you in every section (540,810,630,670) and I'm considering Exeter and Plymouth. I Just don't want to get rejected by not meeting a cutoff.
I'll probably be applying here :smile:
Reply 27
Can anyone explain how Plymouth selects for interview, besides determining that minimum the entry requirements are met?

Do they rank candidates by ukcat, academic score, personal statement score or similar?

Thanks
Reply 28
Original post by *mimi*
Can anyone explain how Plymouth selects for interview, besides determining that minimum the entry requirements are met?

Do they rank candidates by ukcat, academic score, personal statement score or similar?

Thanks

First, they check whether you meet the minimum reqs - 8c at GCSE and AAA achieved or predicted.

They then set ukcat cutoffs for each subsection and an overall ukcat score cutoff. Sjt isn't used :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Ill probably be applying here but I think my DA may have let me down
Do you think thats a bad idea wiht my stats as Im starting to reconsider it now although I love plymouth

VR - 550
QR - 810
AR - 810
DA - 590

Total - 2760
Avg - 690

SJT - Band 1

GCSE - 1A*5A4Bs2Cs 2Dis 1Merit

AS Level - ABBBBB
A2 Prediction - A*AA

Suggestion of any other unis to apply to with these stats?
Reply 30
Original post by Mehhhh
First, they check whether you meet the minimum reqs - 8c at GCSE and AAA achieved or predicted.

They then set ukcat cutoffs for each subsection and an overall ukcat score cutoff. Sjt isn't used :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are you guaranteed an interview if you meet minimum academic requirements and the ukcat cutoff? Or do they also have a PS screening process before interview?
Reply 31
Original post by joolsm
So are you guaranteed an interview if you meet minimum academic requirements and the ukcat cutoff? Or do they also have a PS screening process before interview?

That is correct - but be aware that the UKCAT cutoffs change year-to-year. The PS isn't used at all, not even during the interview.
I got a UKCAT average of 707 Band 1 but my lowest score was DA with 610. Would it be smart to apply to Plymouth (assuming all my other stats meet requirements and my PS is decent)?
Reply 33
Original post by Ashkun
My UKCAT is SO similar to you in every section (540,810,630,670) and I'm considering Exeter and Plymouth. I Just don't want to get rejected by not meeting a cutoff.

They are such nice unis but they're soooooo difficult to get in to xD I'm hoping we should meet all the cut offs, looking at the cutoffs for previous years, but DA is the only one that I'm worried might catch me out :/ Where else are you applying? :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by cwi111
They are such nice unis but they're soooooo difficult to get in to xD I'm hoping we should meet all the cut offs, looking at the cutoffs for previous years, but DA is the only one that I'm worried might catch me out :/ Where else are you applying? :smile:

UCL , Leeds , Bristol and deciding fourth. It's between exeter , plymouth and sheffield, would of preferred Exeter but the cutoff is risky
Original post by Ashkun
UCL , Leeds , Bristol and deciding fourth. It's between exeter , plymouth and sheffield, would of preferred Exeter but the cutoff is risky

exeter wont be using subsection cut offs this year, but there will be an overall cutoff.
Original post by brbwafflesyay
I got a UKCAT average of 707 Band 1 but my lowest score was DA with 610. Would it be smart to apply to Plymouth (assuming all my other stats meet requirements and my PS is decent)?

Bump, got 680 average but 610 on DA
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a similar situation to you in regard to lacklustre GCSEs grades(5 As 2Cs 1B) but I'm a 2016 applicant (I'm just doing As now)
Reply 38
Original post by Ashkun

Oooh good choices :smile: Of those 3, Exeter's my favourite, but personally, I'd play it safe and go for one of the other two - Plymouth's a great med school :biggrin:
Is this safe for Plymouth...

Vr 550 :frown:
Qr 730 :biggrin:
Ar 640 :frown:
DA 590 :frown:
Sjt b1 :biggrin:

I am a resitter with extenuating circumstances and go to a bad school. I have received grades of A*ABc but I will be predicted A*AAb. Any others anyone could recommend? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending