The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do Plymouth look at SJT as I got band 3.
I have 4 A* 7 A at GCSE and achieved grades of A*AAb as well as an A* in EPQ. Got 700 UKCAT average
Original post by JulietR
Do Plymouth look at SJT as I got band 3.
I have 4 A* 7 A at GCSE and achieved grades of A*AAb as well as an A* in EPQ. Got 700 UKCAT average

I don't think they were looking at SJT last year but I'm not 100% sure where you stand as most med schools didn't look at it for the first year or two but may bring it in at some point.

Contact them and check to be sure.
Original post by Dr Gin
I don't think they were looking at SJT last year but I'm not 100% sure where you stand as most med schools didn't look at it for the first year or two but may bring it in at some point.

Contact them and check to be sure.

Okay thank you :smile: are you a current medic??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietR
Okay thank you :smile: are you a current medic??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and No. I'm a GP. My daughter got a place at Plymouth in the last cycle.
Do you know how Plymouth rank for interview after using the minimum UKCAT cut offs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietR
Do you know how Plymouth rank for interview after using the minimum UKCAT cut offs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as we could tell last year they started, for the majority of applications, by excluding anyone who had less than A*AA achieved/predicted and then set a cut-off also for the UKCAT subsections & total. From the information we saw (and were told) they do not use the PS (other than to check for plagiarism and extenuation), nor do they use GCSEs other than to ensure you meet their minimum threshold.

Of course, as with all med schools, they will react each year to the numbers/quality of applicants they get, so the way they get the numbers down to the quantity they can (physically and financially) manage to interview could change this cycle if the applicant profile has significantly changed or they feel that they could improve the quality of their students by investing in a different strategy.

For med schools it is a massive numbers game: reading/scoring personal statements is expensive, interviewing is expensive, GCSE scoring is cheap, UKCAT scoring costs a bit as does BMAT, A2 predictions are cheap. They can't risk giving out too many offers (massive financial penalties) but also don't want to under-fill their places (massive financial losses) so are understandably strung-up on statistics and likely numerical outcomes. They each have to decide where to place emphasis in an attempt to get the numbers to a manageable level for interviews without losing any good candidates and then give out exactly the right number of offers to fill their places with the most perfect students they can get their mitts on.

Your job is to apply tactically to the med schools who are most likely to use your strengths to pre-select their interviewees…
Thank you very much. I have achieved A*AA and meet their UKCAT cut off from last year by a fair way so I think I will apply here. Just need to double check about their use of SJT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietR
Thank you very much. I have achieved A*AA and meet their UKCAT cut off from last year by a fair way so I think I will apply here. Just need to double check about their use of SJT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of Luck!!
Reply 1348
Original post by Januu Dolly
Is this safe for Plymouth...

Vr 550 :frown:
Qr 730 :biggrin:
Ar 640 :frown:
DA 590 :frown:
Sjt b1 :biggrin:

I am a resitter with extenuating circumstances and go to a bad school. I have received grades of A*ABc but I will be predicted A*AAb. Any others anyone could recommend? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

did u end up getting in?
I got 2720 and got an interview today :smile:
Original post by Uosaf
I got 2690 for my ukcat

VR-600
QR-670
AR-760
DA-660

Band 1

Do you think this would make it above the cut offs this year? :frown:

I got an interview and got 2720 and band 2 so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending