Mechanics or Statistics at Maths A-Level?

Watch
Jelly150
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey,
For maths A-Level at AS, I've heard that you do 4 units, C1 and C2 as well M1, M2 or S1, S2. And for A2 you do C3, C4 and M3, M4 or S3, S4. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So what I wanted to ask is whether I should choose Mechanics or Statistics. From what I've heard, mechanics is a lot harder but interesting whereas statistics is the opposite. Is there any benefit in choosing either one of them?
I also chose Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry as my other options.
Artimus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Mechanics and this will be useful for me as I'm also doing Physics so they should cross-reference, I'd recommend the same to you if you're also doing Physics. What A-Levels are you doing? This will help you in making your decision.
Jelly150
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Artimus)
I'm doing Mechanics and this will be useful for me as I'm also doing Physics so they should cross-reference, I'd recommend the same to you if you're also doing Physics. What A-Levels are you doing? This will help you in making your decision.
I edited the thread, I'm choosing Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
I'm better off choosing Mechanics? Any benefits other than the cross-reference?
EXTREMEninja
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jelly150)
Hey,
For maths A-Level at AS, I've heard that you do 4 units, C1 and C2 as well M1, M2 or S1, S2. And for A2 you do C3, C4 and M3, M4 or S3, S4. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So what I wanted to ask is whether I should choose Mechanics or Statistics. From what I've heard, mechanics is a lot harder but interesting whereas statistics is the opposite. Is there any benefit in choosing either one of them?
I also chose Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry as my other options.
You only do three units at both AS and A level, so 6 units in total (At least, for my exam board you do, and I imagine it is the same for others).

Mechanics is harder than statistics from my point of view, but also much more interesting. It is probably easier to get a very high mark in mechanics if you understand it, because I found stats is easier to slip up in. In S1 you could get away with memorising stuff, but it is harder to get away with that in M1, you have to try and understand the material.

Note: You can do a mixture of mechanics and statistics. I have also heard that universities prefer mechanics modules, although it will depend on the degree, I guess.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's

AS: C1 C2 S1/M1
A2: C3 C4 S1/M1 (if you didn't pick the alternative) or S2/M2

but it seems your school will do one or the other

Assuming no decision modules either

Just do mechanics
Artimus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jelly150)
I edited the thread, I'm choosing Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
I'm better off choosing Mechanics? Any benefits other than the cross-reference?
Honestly, I don't know. I have heard Mechanics is difficult though, but doing Physics should help you with your knowledge of Mechanics, logically speaking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.69%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.62%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (71)
27.31%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.08%

Watched Threads