Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone.. im doing English as second language but i achieved a C in my GCSE english.. King's college has given me a conditional offer for pharmacy, one of the conditions is to take the IELTS test .. i dont understand why?!: :confused:
    is it hard? is any1 taking it?! help...

ReputationRep:
    I don't reckon it would be very hard if you got a C at GCSE. For you that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    hey everyone.. im doing English as second language but i achieved a C in my GCSE english.. King's college has given me a conditional offer for pharmacy, one of the conditions is to take the IELTS test .. i dont understand why?!: :confused:

I did my IELTS test last year and it was'nt difficult at all, you should do fine don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zonic)
    I did my IELTS test last year and it was'nt difficult at all, you should do fine don't worry.
    thanx.. what is about? did u do it at ur college/6th form?! caz im at a 6th form and im not sure if they do the test :confused: ....

ReputationRep:
    If you live outside the UK you can do the test through your local British Council. In Italy all the details are posted on the British Council website. There is also a IELTS website www.ielts.org

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm bilingual, and one of these languages is english...but I had to do IELTS anyway... it's a must for all foreigners... for getting into uni you have to take the academic one, and I wouldn't say it was that easy..
    You can buy some material on IELTS, I think they helped me a lot..I bought a book which came with a CD where the "listening section" was and some examples of conversations from the oral section..( I ended up thinking I failed at the oral part, but in the end I got 9/9..which is the best possible..)
    The test was fairly similair to the one on their website..
    Hope this helped..so good luck..
    And if you have anymore questions don't hesitate on asking me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Hey, I'm bilingual, and one of these languages is english...but I had to do IELTS anyway... it's a must for all foreigners... for getting into uni you have to take the academic one, and I wouldn't say it was that easy..
    You can buy some material on IELTS, I think they helped me a lot..I bought a book which came with a CD where the "listening section" was and some examples of conversations from the oral section..( I ended up thinking I failed at the oral part, but in the end I got 9/9..which is the best possible..)
    The test was fairly similair to the one on their website..
    Hope this helped..so good luck..
    And if you have anymore questions don't hesitate on asking me..
    thanxxxxx... so u reckon is not that easy then?! :confused: i need a 7 inorder to get into king's.. is it hard to get 7 for someone whos been here for 5 years and has a C in egnlish language?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackrainbow)
    If you live outside the UK you can do the test through your local British Council. In Italy all the details are posted on the British Council website. There is also a IELTS website www.ielts.org
    no im in the UK and i live outside london.. i v.much dought that my 6th form school do this test so i havent got a clue where to go and do the test... thanx alot for the web site though

ReputationRep:
    i soo wanted to do the IELTS test instead of english GCSE but its 90pounds n at the time i couldnt afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    thanxxxxx... so u reckon is not that easy then?! :confused: i need a 7 inorder to get into king's.. is it hard to get 7 for someone whos been here for 5 years and has a C in egnlish language?!
    If you've been in the UK for 5 years, than I guess it shouldn't be a problem..
    though I have no idea what GCSE or whatever is so I can't compare...
    As I said I'm bilingual, I have been living in the Czech republic for the past ten years, my parents are Czech, I go to czech school.. so I don't get to practise my english often, and still got overall 8..
    But I prepared for the exams a bit (with the book I bought -this no advertisement for IELTS , they were just really good.. )... I mean prepare for the writing section... i got 7/9..
    The hardest part for me was the writing and reading part.. the articles in the reading part were really hard to read, and the questions were formulated pretty strangly, so sometimes I had to reread some paragraphs at least 5 times to get the correct answer..
    But if you have been living in the UK for the past 5 years, than overall 7 should be a piece of cake for you

ReputationRep:
    I don't think IELTS is overly hard (as far as English langusagse tests go it's somewhere in the middle between TOEFL and Cambridge Proficiency, I suppose). Personaslly, I got 8.5 overall asd I wasn't living in the UK at the time. Just plan enough time, as there is only a certain number of test dates and they fill up quickly.
    I just think that it's strange that King's want you to take IELTS, as most universities would be happy to take GCSE Grade C or above in place of the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    I don't think IELTS is overly hard (as far as English langusagse tests go it's somewhere in the middle between TOEFL and Cambridge Proficiency, I suppose). Personaslly, I got 8.5 overall asd I wasn't living in the UK at the time. Just plan enough time, as there is only a certain number of test dates and they fill up quickly.
    I just think that it's strange that King's want you to take IELTS, as most universities would be happy to take GCSE Grade C or above in place of the test.
    thanx.. yeah i was SUPRISED as well, i mean a C in GCSE isnt that bad :confused: ... what do mean "Just plan enough time, as there is only a certain number of test dates and they fill up quickly" so there is more than one test date??!!!??!!and when is it normally? around June/July?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how it works for schools in England... Ic did the test in germany (and I suppose it's the same for most countries). Basically, there are a couple of test centres per country (usually in connection with the British Council) - four for Germany, and each of the test centres administer the test a couple of times a year (roughly once a month per test centre for Germany). You fill out an application form with you preferred test centre and date and then hope you get in - otherwise you may have to wait for the next one. It might be much easier though if you are actually resident in England - no idea.

When I did the test I was planning to do it in March or April, but when I applied about one month early all the places were already full so I got told to wait until they would publish the dates for May-July and apply then. In the meantime, however, someone dropped out (for one of the tests in March) and the British Council phoned me asking whether I wanted to do the test the next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    It is very easy to obtain grade 7 in the IELTS. Two of my colleagues coming from China obtained grade 7 and 8 in the IELTS. They have been studying in UK for two years.

ReputationRep:
    ehh... i thought only oxford need ielts for oversea ppl
    i got a B for igcse... so wht do u thinkj then

ReputationRep:
    I was only living in the UK for 3 years when I got A*s in English and English Lit. This question of whether the test is hard or not is completely pointless as it completely depends on your linguistic ability. I'm a foreigner and I was never asked to sit any language proficiency test by any of the Universities, which gave me offers, including Oxford, etomac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    Have you tried phoning them and making sure you really have to do IELTS? I'm bilingual but when I was told I have to do IELTS they said it was because "even home applicants have to have English GCSE". Perhaps they have just given you the standard offer for applicants whose mother tongue is not English and have overlooked the fact that you have English GCSE (although I see at KCL they want higher than a C for some courses, which may be why they also want you to do IELTS). It's worth checking anyway because the exam is quite expensive (£85 at International House in London).

ReputationRep:
    thanx every1 for ur help...
    i really appreciate it

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.