What is a hazard risk? Watch

NoA*S!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have an assignment to do before I start my A-level geography course and the question is simply: What is meant by the term "hazard risk"?
I have looked online but can't actually find anything on a "hazard risk" as such, just results on "hazards" and "risks"... Can anyone help me?!?!
iceangel8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the words are 'disaster risk' which may help your research. It is analysing how much at risk an area is to a disaster occurring. This is 'calculated' using an equation of the natural hazard event (I.e earthquake or volcanic eruption) multiplied by vulnerability (how vulnerable an area is which could be in terms of population - if there is a dense population it is more at risk). This is divided by capacity to cope - how well an area can cope with the said disaster occurring for instance a well developed country may have a higher capacity to cope as they have better building quality. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DavidCrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Risk to natural disaster (hazard) to an area = Magnitude of hazard x magnitude of vulnerability

Magnitude of hazard influenced by strength of natural disaster eg strength of storm/hurricane, earthquake, volcano, tsunami

Magnitude of vulnerability influenced by economic, social and political factors such as population density, state of development, preparedness (ability to cope)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Darkwarrior23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

vulnerability X hazard
capacity to cope
NoA*S!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The actual essay question is ‘Explain how physical factors lead to a range of hazard risks in the Philippines’. Would I talk about things such as landscape, tectonic plates, sea levels, population density, infrastructure, that sort of thing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
13.07%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.8%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.76%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.26%
No (283)
71.11%

Watched Threads