My friend keeps telling me AS Physics... Watch

Barbarian King
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is so difficult because of the EMPAs, since I am doing Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths, he thinks it is too difficult, and that I will fail.
I am doing AQA AS Physics, and just doing it for a year then dropping at A2.

And the EMPAs are just 20%.

Another one of my friends discouraged me from doing Latin at GCSEs, in the mocks I got a C, but then in the actual exams I got an A with the hard work.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Bump.
HollieAMarie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
EMPA's are difficult. However, with good support from the teaching staff it isn't too difficult to achieve a high grade. I personally got full marks in my AS Physics EMPA, just by making sure I understood the practicals and taking all the advice my teacher had to offer.
An EMPA is a much better system than the ISA, believe me!

Hope this helps!
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Alright *gulp*
Studency
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it the first time your school has done the EMPA?

Last year it was my school's first time, and no one got above a B because needless to say it was chaos, and we all resat it during our A2s
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
(Original post by Studency)
Is it the first time your school has done the EMPA?

Last year it was my school's first time, and no one got above a B because needless to say it was chaos, and we all resat it during our A2s

No our school have done EMPAs last year too.
anonlad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
With those subjects you have to be prepared to work hard; in other words, you should begin preparing for summer exams in jan/feb but keep on top of the workload in the months before. Also, no matter what people say, you definitely can prepare for empas, so make sure you are fully revised and you should be fine (empas have considerably lower grade boundaries than ISAs). The people who fail sciences are the people who fall behind and leave revision til its too late (like after easter) so don't do that and you should be good

If it's encouraging, my friend got an E in his empa but because it is only 20%, his Physics AS was a B overall (which is definitely not too shabby).
Flobie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those are the subjects I did at AS, and it's fine It's hard work but if you put the effort in you'll be ok. I did a different syllabus for physics, though, but to back up the guy above, I did AQA Biology, and got an A overall for the whole A level despite getting a D in the A2 EMPA

Don't let your friend put you off, if you're worried then speak to the teachers. It's actually a pretty common subject combination
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise