The Student Room Group

Please give me some advice

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm really sorry, but you might have to look for an alternative. The sad fact is that Medicine is the most competitive course in existence and tons of people with perfect grades, heaps of work experience and excellent BMAT/UKCAT results get rejected each year. I just cannot see how you could get onto a Medicine course with those grades - it just isn't going to happen and there's no real way of dressing that up. Have you considered an alternative like nursing?
Reply 2
honestly speaking I think you should prepare for plan B. Medicine is extremely competitive and it is very hard to get into even with AAA. However why not try looking at universities like Westminister, Greenwhich etc(Westminster you need like CCC for law!)
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm really sorry, but you might have to look for an alternative. The sad fact is that Medicine is the most competitive course in existence and tons of people with perfect grades, heaps of work experience and excellent BMAT/UKCAT results get rejected each year. I just cannot see how you could get onto a Medicine course with those grades - it just isn't going to happen and there's no real way of dressing that up. Have you considered an alternative like nursing?

But I have heard stories like a guy got something like CCDE at AS and gets AAA at A level.
Hate to break it to you but you're going to at least have to resit some modules etc, if you managed to get an offer at med school you'd have to at least get AAA at A2 and may even need a B or A in the 4th AS. That's the most optimistic approach, more likely you will have to look at alternatives- biomed, resits, or even applying abroad.

How did you do in the ukcat?
Yes, but firstly that guy probably didn't get into Medicine and secondly, you're applying with BBCD not AAA. You've not got your A2 results yet, you're applying with your AS results. In order to get AAA, you would almost certainly have to do resits and many medicine schools don't accept them and those that do would not view them very highly. There might be the occasional story of someone with low grades getting into Medicine but that will definitely not be the entire story - maybe they have very serious extenuating circumstances combined with an absolutely incredible BMAT/UKCAT and interview performance.
Reply 6
That's true if you work really hard but there is no way he would be let into medicine because his predicted grades would not have been that good.How about you focus on your studies then take a gap year and apply after you have received your results, in the gap year you could do work experience etc. there more of a chance then
Reply 7
Original post by Flobie
Hate to break it to you but you're going to at least have to resit some modules etc, if you managed to get an offer at med school you'd have to at least get AAA at A2 and may even need a B or A in the 4th AS. That's the most optimistic approach, more likely you will have to look at alternatives- biomed, resits, or even applying abroad.

How did you do in the ukcat?

I got UKCAT test this thursday.
One more thing I came to this country in january 2012, with poor english. I got an average GCSE. Can they consider my background and the difficulties i faced?
Reply 8
What if I get a predicted grades of AAB?
Reply 9
Hmm they may not consider it enough to accept you. Honestly why don't you take a gap year and apply next year (September-October 2015) hopefully your results would have improved tremendously and a lot of universities favour students who take gap years to do something related to their desired course. If you really want to get into medicine and will not listen to anything else them take a GAO year and apply externally. But don't get your hopes up because a place is still not guaranteed
Reply 10
I suggest you take on board what the other people have suggested.

Even getting predicted 3As doesn't guarantee you a place. Even a good ps doesn't always guarantee you a place.

Trying to get 3As will be a mission for you to do, soo many re sits.

Focus this year, take the UKCAT this year just for experience so that you'll be better next year.
You could work to get AAA grades at A2 and then apply.
As someone else just said, they may consider it but not enough to make a significant difference. Again, like they said, you'd be better off not applying this year, and working your butt off to get at least AAAb for your final grades- you'll have to resit a number of modules- then applying after your A2s.

If not, you should really consider doing something like biomed or applying abroad.

I'm afraid AAB probably won't be enough as you'll be competing against a huge number of reapplicants with, say, A*AA or even higher.
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
You could work to get AAA grades at A2 and then apply.

This. Just don't do anything except work hard all year this year and apply next year. You'd rather cancel your UKCAT if you can as even then you said you haven't got that good GCSE grades. I got slightly better than you ABBD but I am gonna take a gap year and try to get AAA this year. Just see what you get this year before you do anything else.
Reply 14
Hey I think I can help you as I had a similar problem. PM me!
:smile:
Reply 15
Got a very bad UKCAT, 440, plus got bad GCSEs (2 As, couple of Bs and Cs) plus got poor AS levels (BBCD). Came to this country 2/3 years ago with no english, but a dream to become a neurosurgeon. But I cannot even do medicine :frown:. I am so stressed. Even my 3 friends whom I used to help with their AS levels got AAAB and AABB and ABCD.
IS THIS A JOKE!!!!
It sounds like what you need to do is take some time to think about your future plans. Right now, things may seem awful, but they won't improve unless you make a plan and do something about it!

The first thing to consider is why you wanted to do Medicine. You say you had ambitions of neurosurgery - why? What was it that drew you towards that career?

Once you know that, you can consider what to do next. If you feel that Medicine is still 'the only option' for you, then plan to take a gap year. Work extremely hard this year and resit some exams so that you end up with at least AAAb at the end. From there, you can apply during your gap year, and get some more work experience so that you're a competitive applicant. You will also have to do your UKCAT again and can use this year's experience to get 650+.

On the other hand, if you think that other degrees - e.g. Neuroscience or Biomedicine - would still hold some interest to you, you can think about applying for them. If you plan resits and can get predicted AAB, you will probably get Biomedical offers from some universities. You may discover that you really enjoy that course, or you can look at going for Graduate Entry Medicine after. You said previously that that didn't interest you, but I'm afraid it may become your only option.

Finally, you may decide to give up on Medicine and seek something completely different. Some people want to go into Medicine for the wrong reasons - the money, the prestige, pressure from parents or school. I'm not saying that's necessarily why you want to, but if you have any doubts about Medicine, it may be easier and better for you to study something else. There are many fantastic careers out there, and not getting into your first choice is not the end of the world.

Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by LeFailFish
It sounds like what you need to do is take some time to think about your future plans. Right now, things may seem awful, but they won't improve unless you make a plan and do something about it!

The first thing to consider is why you wanted to do Medicine. You say you had ambitions of neurosurgery - why? What was it that drew you towards that career?

Once you know that, you can consider what to do next. If you feel that Medicine is still 'the only option' for you, then plan to take a gap year. Work extremely hard this year and resit some exams so that you end up with at least AAAb at the end. From there, you can apply during your gap year, and get some more work experience so that you're a competitive applicant. You will also have to do your UKCAT again and can use this year's experience to get 650+.

On the other hand, if you think that other degrees - e.g. Neuroscience or Biomedicine - would still hold some interest to you, you can think about applying for them. If you plan resits and can get predicted AAB, you will probably get Biomedical offers from some universities. You may discover that you really enjoy that course, or you can look at going for Graduate Entry Medicine after. You said previously that that didn't interest you, but I'm afraid it may become your only option.

Finally, you may decide to give up on Medicine and seek something completely different. Some people want to go into Medicine for the wrong reasons - the money, the prestige, pressure from parents or school. I'm not saying that's necessarily why you want to, but if you have any doubts about Medicine, it may be easier and better for you to study something else. There are many fantastic careers out there, and not getting into your first choice is not the end of the world.

Good luck!

Thank you that really helped me a lot. I have heard some success stories of some people jumping from Bs to A/A*s with no resits. I was planning to resit my AS math so I can get an A in that. so let say I get prediction of ABB. Some universities accept BCC for foundation medicine. Is this my right decision to apply to those universities. Sorry for my poor english. If you didn't understand anything please ask me.
Reply 18
Original post by HAnwar
Hey I think I can help you as I had a similar problem. PM me!
:smile:

Please help me
Maybe resit and try for something else, maybe to do with Biology or Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest