The Student Room Group

Personal statement troubles!

I've begun the process of writing my personal statement, and I have started to worry due to the fact that I cannot pass further than the whole three sentences that I have so far. I'll be applying for a few different courses, however they will all relate back to English in some form.

This is what I've got, please do tell me if it's really bad;

"For me, English is much more than just a language. It is an integral part of today’s society, and using its words we expand our understanding of the people we share our world with. Through literature, I have been able to broaden my knowledge of..."

and that's all I've got, any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated!
Hi there! I'm just going to be blatant honest with you.

It seems cliché and it doesn't appeal me if I'm an admissions tutor. Maybe think of something more interesting to start your personal statement?
Original post by applicant2014
Hi there! I'm just going to be blatant honest with you.

It seems cliché and it doesn't appeal me if I'm an admissions tutor. Maybe think of something more interesting to start your personal statement?

Thanks for your honesty, I'm just getting started. What do you suggest?
Original post by annacubeddu13
I've begun the process of writing my personal statement, and I have started to worry due to the fact that I cannot pass further than the whole three sentences that I have so far. I'll be applying for a few different courses, however they will all relate back to English in some form.

and that's all I've got, any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated!

My impression is you're starting this the wrong way - for something like a PS starting with polished prose for your opening paragraph is silly - you need to build up the structure and the content of your statement first - then refine it into something that reads fluidly.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes is a good place to start - once you know what points you want to make and what you want to talk about you can gradually build something brilliant without editing and re-editing your opening paragraph millions of times.

Also I'm afraid that now that you've posted this sentence online you must NOT use it in your PS - UCAS will highlight it as plagiarised.
Original post by PQ
My impression is you're starting this the wrong way - for something like a PS starting with polished prose for your opening paragraph is silly - you need to build up the structure and the content of your statement first - then refine it into something that reads fluidly.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes is a good place to start - once you know what points you want to make and what you want to talk about you can gradually build something brilliant without editing and re-editing your opening paragraph millions of times.

Also I'm afraid that now that you've posted this sentence online you must NOT use it in your PS - UCAS will highlight it as plagiarised.

How awful of me not to realize that huge fact about plagiarism! Thanks for reminding me... So what you're saying is I need to know the entirety of the contents before I start writing, rather than just starting from scratch?
How awful of me not to realize that huge fact about plagiarism! Thanks for reminding me... So what you're saying is I need to know the entirety of the contents before I start writing, rather than just starting from scratch?

I would - I know personally writing these sorts of things it is easy to waste away hours on tweaking a couple of lines instead of just getting something down and redrafting to perfect it.

A PS should flow smoothly and be personal. That means you need to start with a clear idea of structure and content before you worry about tone and specifics.

Admissions tutors are looking for applicants who love their subject enough to devote 3+ years to studying it. They aren't looking for profound insights into the point of the subject or an essay about the impact of the subject on society - they're looking for insight into what the subject means to YOU.
- why do you like it,
- which bits do you like,
- do you have any examples where you've gone beyond the curriculum to demonstrate how much you like it and
- what are you looking forward to do more of in this subject when you get to uni.

For an academic subject that is the be all and end all. Anything else is not relevant to your reader.
Original post by PQ
I would - I know personally writing these sorts of things it is easy to waste away hours on tweaking a couple of lines instead of just getting something down and redrafting to perfect it.

A PS should flow smoothly and be personal. That means you need to start with a clear idea of structure and content before you worry about tone and specifics.

Admissions tutors are looking for applicants who love their subject enough to devote 3+ years to studying it. They aren't looking for profound insights into the point of the subject or an essay about the impact of the subject on society - they're looking for insight into what the subject means to YOU.
- why do you like it,
- which bits do you like,
- do you have any examples where you've gone beyond the curriculum to demonstrate how much you like it and
- what are you looking forward to do more of in this subject when you get to uni.

For an academic subject that is the be all and end all. Anything else is not relevant to your reader.

Okay thank you, so how about including the writers that have influenced me? Can I also talk about English teachers, if it is relevant?
Okay thank you, so how about including the writers that have influenced me? Can I also talk about English teachers, if it is relevant?

Writers you like comes under "which bits do you like" :wink:
Writers you've studied in your own time/beyond the curriculum comes under "do you have any examples where you've gone beyond the curriculum to demonstrate how much you like it"

If a teacher is one of the things that have inspired you to study the subject at university then that's fine to include. For "why do you like it" you're telling the reader a story about how you've come to this point where you're applying for this degree.

Start off putting in EVERYTHING. Then once you've started to pull something together decide which content has the most impact on the reader and cut everything else out.
Original post by PQ
Writers you like comes under "which bits do you like" :wink:
Writers you've studied in your own time/beyond the curriculum comes under "do you have any examples where you've gone beyond the curriculum to demonstrate how much you like it"

If a teacher is one of the things that have inspired you to study the subject at university then that's fine to include. For "why do you like it" you're telling the reader a story about how you've come to this point where you're applying for this degree.

Start off putting in EVERYTHING. Then once you've started to pull something together decide which content has the most impact on the reader and cut everything else out.

Thank you, you've been a massive help! I feel much more confident I can write something solid and meaningful now... just going to start writing about it, and see where it takes me :smile:
Shameless promotion of my sticky here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Shameless promotion of my sticky here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563

I love your sticky :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
I love your sticky :biggrin:

:colondollar: Aw shucks! I should update it, I guess, but apart from the lifting of the ABB cap, I don't think much has changed, and certainly not at the university in question and its peers as far as English is concerned.

"For me, English is much more than just a language. It is an integral part of today’s society, and using its words we expand our understanding of the people we share our world with. Through literature, I have been able to broaden my knowledge of..."

To be honest, at this stage I wouldn't focus on the specifics and making the language sound nice; I'd just try and get a rough draft ready. Once you've got this it will be so much easier to edit and refine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest