WannabeDoctor03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, below is my Academic/ Extra curricular profile. Please take a look at it and let me know what places I would stand a good chance at applying to and why.

Thanks!!

Year of Entry: 2015
Deferred: No
GCSEs: 2A*s (Maths, History), 7As (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Art, Spanish, English, English Literature) 1B (French)
AS Levels: AABBB (A's in History and General Studies, B's in Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
A Levels: Taking Biology, Chemistry, History, General Studies and an EPQ.
UKCAT: Average 705, Band 3

Work Experience:
  • One week Hospital, various wards (A&E, Respiratory Clinic, Orthopaedics, shadowing a consultant surgeon – watching minor surgeries such as Labiaplasty to Gastric Staple surgery, shadowing Junior Doctors, communicating w/ patients and Radiology)
  • One week, in GP Surgery, admin stuff, talked about the legalities of working in a Hospital.
  • Working as a Healthcare Assistant for a couple of months in a care home: Elderly care home means a more face to face approach with Patients, gives a realistic approach to medicine.
  • 2 days in an Indian Hospital, shadowing a senior doctor

Volunteering:
  • Approx. 3 years volunteering at Hospital chaplaincy, lot of contact with Patients.
  • 2 years of volunteering at Hospital shop, it had raised over a million pounds in the last 7-10 years. All money given for new equipment to the Hospital.
  • 9 years Altar Serving for nine years, 3 times a week, every week. Includes, taking active roles during mass, teaching/ mentoring younger servers, being a role model to them, supporting the Parish Priests in their masses, adjusting to different priests, having immense responsibilities. eg. Responsibilities for locking the safe containing all valuables, etc
  • Volunteered with the Mother Theresa Charity in India for a couple of days, they rebuild homes and raise money for the homeless and the poverty-stricken

Extra Curricular (Out of school):

• Extra Reading (journals): The Lancet

• Extra Reading (novels etc): The Checklist Manifesto, The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat; the Blind Watchmaker

• DANCING, performing at various events, performed in India; used to do competitively.

Extra Curricular (in school)

• Young Manager’s Challenge

• Biology, History, Maths Mentor

• Biology Prefect

The Universities I was thinking of applying to were: St Georges, Barts and the London and maybe Sheffield.
If you guys have any ideas what other Unis would be a good choice to apply to, please let me know.
Thanks.
WannabeDoctor03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Also, I have AAAA (A in EPQ) Predictions
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your Uni choices so far are very strong indicating that you're applying to your strengths for the 4th you could look at Nottingham as you have a good UKCAT and also Hull-York
Demma1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your stats are fantastic! I really don't understand how you got rejected from Sheffield! Wish you all the best for the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (8)
61.54%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (2)
15.38%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
23.08%

Watched Threads