Advice for Medical schools to apply toWatch
Year of Entry: 2015
GCSEs: 2A*s (Maths, History), 7As (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Art, Spanish, English, English Literature) 1B (French)
AS Levels: AABBB (A's in History and General Studies, B's in Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
A Levels: Taking Biology, Chemistry, History, General Studies and an EPQ.
UKCAT: Average 705, Band 3
- One week Hospital, various wards (A&E, Respiratory Clinic, Orthopaedics, shadowing a consultant surgeon – watching minor surgeries such as Labiaplasty to Gastric Staple surgery, shadowing Junior Doctors, communicating w/ patients and Radiology)
- One week, in GP Surgery, admin stuff, talked about the legalities of working in a Hospital.
- Working as a Healthcare Assistant for a couple of months in a care home: Elderly care home means a more face to face approach with Patients, gives a realistic approach to medicine.
- 2 days in an Indian Hospital, shadowing a senior doctor
- Approx. 3 years volunteering at Hospital chaplaincy, lot of contact with Patients.
- 2 years of volunteering at Hospital shop, it had raised over a million pounds in the last 7-10 years. All money given for new equipment to the Hospital.
- 9 years Altar Serving for nine years, 3 times a week, every week. Includes, taking active roles during mass, teaching/ mentoring younger servers, being a role model to them, supporting the Parish Priests in their masses, adjusting to different priests, having immense responsibilities. eg. Responsibilities for locking the safe containing all valuables, etc
- Volunteered with the Mother Theresa Charity in India for a couple of days, they rebuild homes and raise money for the homeless and the poverty-stricken
Extra Curricular (Out of school):
- Extra Reading (journals): The Lancet
- Extra Reading (novels etc): The Checklist Manifesto, The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat; the Blind Watchmaker
- DANCING, performing at various events, performed in India; used to do competitively.
Extra Curricular (in school)
- Young Manager’s Challenge
- Biology, History, Maths Mentor
- Biology Prefect
The Universities I was thinking of applying to were: St Georges, Barts and the London and maybe Sheffield.
If you guys have any ideas what other Unis would be a good choice to apply to, please let me know.