The Student Room Group

Good GCSEs and Bad AS grades

I got 7a* and 4A at GCSE , but I have done less well at AS. I got AABB , but I still have EPQ to complete. I am predicted at least A*AAA for A2 and I want to do Law at university , do I have a chance of getting to these unis?
1.Oxford
2.UCL
3.KCL
4.Queen Mary
5.Warwick
Reply 1
Original post by Dzporkpie
I got 7a* and 4A at GCSE , but I have done less well at AS. I got AABB , but I still have EPQ to complete. I am predicted at least A*AAA for A2 and I want to do Law at university , do I have a chance of getting to these unis?
1.Oxford
2.UCL
3.KCL
4.Queen Mary
5.Warwick

As far as I know, the predicted grades are more important than your actual grades achieved at AS. However, there are other things to consider; e.g. for Oxford, you will certainly have to do a test called LNAT. I don't know whether the other universities that you stated are using it as well, but they are all top unis so they may be. Alternatively, you can wait a year to see what are your real grades achieved and apply then.
Ultimately, nobody on here can give you a definite answer. Things will vary from university to university, and other factors, such as LNAT, PS, reference and interview will influence your chances of getting a place.

However, law is a very competitive course, and you've named some fairly competitive universities. Most of the candidates who apply will have stellar grades at both GCSE and AS level, so falling down at AS could be enough to cause your application to be filtered out.

Generally, the advice is to apply for 1-2 aspirational universities (A*AA-AAA), 2 universities you're reasonably sure of getting into (AAA-AAB) and 1-2 safe/insurance choices (ABB or lower).

It's worth bearing in mind there's no real benefit in carrying on 4 subjects to A2, plus an EPQ. It might be worth dropping an A2 subject and possibly the EPQ as well. A*AA at A2 looks much better than AABB at A2, and would also give you a chance to reapply for top universities if you don't get in this time around.
Reply 3
Original post by Ucki
As far as I know, the predicted grades are more important than your actual grades achieved at AS. However, there are other things to consider; e.g. for Oxford, you will certainly have to do a test called LNAT. I don't know whether the other universities that you stated are using it as well, but they are all top unis so they may be. Alternatively, you can wait a year to see what are your real grades achieved and apply then.

Yeah , ucl and kcl use lnat too.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Ultimately, nobody on here can give you a definite answer. Things will vary from university to university, and other factors, such as LNAT, PS, reference and interview will influence your chances of getting a place.

However, law is a very competitive course, and you've named some fairly competitive universities. Most of the candidates who apply will have stellar grades at both GCSE and AS level, so falling down at AS could be enough to cause your application to be filtered out.

Generally, the advice is to apply for 1-2 aspirational universities (A*AA-AAA), 2 universities you're reasonably sure of getting into (AAA-AAB) and 1-2 safe/insurance choices (ABB or lower).

It's worth bearing in mind there's no real benefit in carrying on 4 subjects to A2, plus an EPQ. It might be worth dropping an A2 subject and possibly the EPQ as well. A*AA at A2 looks much better than AABB at A2, and would also give you a chance to reapply for top universities if you don't get in this time around.

Would it be easier if I replace one of these unis with Nottingham , Bristol and Edinburgh?
Would it be easier if I replace one of these unis with Nottingham , Bristol and Edinburgh?

I would definitely have an insurance I was predicted 4 as (got 4 a stars :wink:) but I still put a much lower university for insurance (hull) just in case I completely messed up my a2s and got three c grades
Reply 6
Original post by Hannahmay01
I would definitely have an insurance I was predicted 4 as (got 4 a stars :wink:) but I still put a much lower university for insurance (hull) just in case I completely messed up my a2s and got three c grades

I was going to put Warwick's law and business course as insurance , as that only requires aab.

I don't know enough about specific courses and what entry requirements they ask for to say for certain- and it does depend a bit on the other applicants that apply this year. Law is a competitive course though, so in your situation, I would apply for at least two universities asking for AAB or lower.

It does depend a bit how you feel about your predicted grades too- A2 is harder than AS, so do you really feel you can achieve A*AAA? Getting an offer is only half the issue, you also have to achieve the grades you need.
Reply 8
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I don't know enough about specific courses and what entry requirements they ask for to say for certain- and it does depend a bit on the other applicants that apply this year. Law is a competitive course though, so in your situation, I would apply for at least two universities asking for AAB or lower.

It does depend a bit how you feel about your predicted grades too- A2 is harder than AS, so do you really feel you can achieve A*AAA? Getting an offer is only half the issue, you also have to achieve the grades you need.

I have confidence that I will achieve higher , I was only few marks of a in the subjects this year , and I have coursework at a2 to make sure my history reaches an a*.
I have coursework at a2 to make sure my history reaches an a*.

But coursework still does not guarantee an A*. It is a demanding part of the A level course

Nothing wrong with having confidence though - good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending