Wanted to do medicine but did not get the grades - problems for a2

Watch
pti
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hello everyone, this is my first time on here and i am seeking some advice.
Basically what happend was i wanted to apply to medicine but year 12 was a disaster. my four subjects were biology, chemistry, maths and german. i got b, e, u and d respectively. now for a2 i have it all to do, im going to resit all 3 chemistry modules and 2 of my biology for AS while studying for a2 as well because you cant resit a year and apply to medicine so i need to complete as and a2 within 2 years. im going to drop german because there is no way by the end of a2 i can get an a in that. the problem is that my school dont let you continue maths at a2 if you failed AS so they said they will only let me do AS maths again. I am wondering if i can privately enter myself for the a2 modules of maths- the school wont teach me this but i have arranged a tutor so by the end if i get all a's in my as maths that the school taught me and a's in a2 that i privately entered myself, will i have an a in a level maths combined. my maths exam board is ocr by the way. so yea is this possible to do. thank you for any advice given

also, does my d in as german matter or should i resit 1 module of that as well
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pti)
hello everyone, this is my first time on here and i am seeking some advice.
Basically what happend was i wanted to apply to medicine but year 12 was a disaster. my four subjects were biology, chemistry, maths and german. i got b, e, u and d respectively. now for a2 i have it all to do, im going to resit all 3 chemistry modules and 2 of my biology for AS while studying for a2 as well because you cant resit a year and apply to medicine so i need to complete as and a2 within 2 years. im going to drop german because there is no way by the end of a2 i can get an a in that. the problem is that my school dont let you continue maths at a2 if you failed AS so they said they will only let me do AS maths again. I am wondering if i can privately enter myself for the a2 modules of maths- the school wont teach me this but i have arranged a tutor so by the end if i get all a's in my as maths that the school taught me and a's in a2 that i privately entered myself, will i have an a in a level maths combined. my maths exam board is ocr by the way. so yea is this possible to do. thank you for any advice given

also, does my d in as german matter or should i resit 1 module of that as well
It may be possible if you work super hard.

Consider though that as long as you have chem & bio you don't need maths to apply for medicine, and as this was your worst subject it may be better to concentrate on your other 3 rather than adding to your - already large - workload by trying to sit A2 maths as well. It would be better for medicine to have AAA in bio, chem and german than ABBB in bio, chem, german and maths.
RAV 123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on the commitment of the person. But for some motivation, my friend had DDDE by the end of his AS and with resits/remarks and a lot of hard work he came out with A*AA and did economics at uni after taking a gap year as his predictions were really bad.
SilverNight
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look at it this way, for this year's June exams, here's the amount of exams you're going to have to do:
chem 1, chem 2, chem 3, bio 1, bio 2, c1, c2, (s1/m1?)
AND
chem 4, chem 5, chem 6, bio 4, bio 5, bio 6, c3, c4, (s2/m2)

That's a total of over ten exams. I think what you have to ask yourself, is if you can handle the workload, and if all As is a realistic goal. The other is, with AS grades like that, would med school consider your application.

The problem with resits is that they divert your attention away from your A2 exams, which means that even if somehow you got your AS grades up to all As, you may do really badly on your A2 subjects.

However, I don't know you. Maybe you are a really determined and dedicated student who was just having a really bad time during your exams and your results don't reflect your actual skills.

Now, if you really want to resit, then I can't stop you. But...with the amount of exams on your list, taking German as well would be a really bad idea.
pti
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thank you very much for the advice everyone. in year 12 i did fall ill for a couple of months due to a couple of illnesses but nothing massive serious that would be classed as extenuating. therefore i think these grades are not a true reflection of what i am able to achieve so i am going to have a crack at it and hope for the best. the thing is with a lot of hard work i know i will be able to push up my a level maths grade but the thing is with german, i know im not capable of that-although i got a higher grade in german at as. i enjoy maths but i really dont like german, plus i did better in maths at gcse than at german. im just curious that when i apply say god willingly i get 3 a's at the end of a2 at bio chem and maths, will my d in as german make my application look bad. also is it possible to privately enter myself as a candidate for only a2 maths modules while doing AS modules at school. and then in the end have a complete ocr a level maths at grade a hopefully if i do well.
but yea thank you everyone for the advice, and yes this year is going to be very challenging but im going to give it my best shot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (47)
13.86%
Virtual campus tours/open days (74)
21.83%
Live streaming events (32)
9.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.62%
A uni comparison tool (78)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (72)
21.24%