Layita
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone! So I've already went to the enrollment interview at the college that I am applying for and have chosen my A Level subjects. However, after hearing and reading about other people's experience (which I really should have done AGES ago), I came to the conclusion hat I want to change one of my A levels. The A level in question is Spanish. Although I got A* in Spanish GCSE, I feel like I won't be able to cope with A level Spanish. Back in my secondary school, our teacher wasn't really strict with talking to us in Spanish much and I feel as that really puts me at a disadvantage as I feel that the other students who choose A level Spanish will be those who was really good at it. Yes, I know that all A level subjects are harder than GCSE and that others say it is a "big jump".

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me in choosing which subject I should replace Spanish with? I'm interested in doing Anthropology in university, so I was thinking maybe Sociology or Gov and Politics? What other subjects do you think is good to take if I do choose to study Anthropology in uni? Or do you think it's worth it to stick with Spanish? even if it's just for the first year? I've already chosen Geography, English Literature and Philosophy
Layita
Rep:
?
Bump
ronmcd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you should try Spanish before you decide it's too hard. In most schools there is some flexibility to change options in the first few weeks of the year. I managed to change a subject in January this year, 3 months into the year. If you genuinely know how to speak Spanish and weren't just spoonfed at GCSE you should be fine for AS.

If you really have to change, History is a good choice. Sociology A level isn't as well regarded, but it's still an option. For Physical Anthropology Biology would also be helpful.
Layita
Rep:
?
(Original post by ronmcd)
I think you should try Spanish before you decide it's too hard. In most schools there is some flexibility to change options in the first few weeks of the year. I managed to change a subject in January this year, 3 months into the year. If you genuinely know how to speak Spanish and weren't just spoonfed at GCSE you should be fine for AS.

If you really have to change, History is a good choice. Sociology A level isn't as well regarded, but it's still an option. For Physical Anthropology Biology would also be helpful.
Thanks very much for your advice! Yes, I'll probably try Spanish before I change anything, although the information booklet which our college gave us stated that they're a little strict on changing a-levels, but fingers crossed anyways >.<. After having a look at the subject structure of History in my college, I'd say it's really interesting and I will definitely think about taking it if I do end up wanting to change Spanish.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (379)
19.52%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed