KateJones1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

I appreciate there's no way of getting a definitive answer for my question but any help would be truly appreciated!

In summary, I graduated in 2011 with a first class law degree for a top 10-20 UK university. We weren't given rankings but I would estimate I was in the top 5-10% of my year. At the time, I was really interested in going to the bar. Sadly, I couldn't afford it so had to go down the solicitor route. I have just finished my 2 year training contract and am now a litigation solicitor.

I am now in a position where I would like to go back to study either the Oxford BCL or the Cambridge LLM in a bid to strengthen my eventual application for pupillage.

Could anyone let me know what they think of my chances of getting on either of these courses?

In terms of strengths, I have very good work experience and have a strong rapport with my former lecturers so should have a relatively good set of references.

In terms of weaknesses, in my first year at university I received low 2:1/2:2 marks (averaging around 60) but averaged around 70/71 for my last two years. I have AAB at A-level.

I'm not sure what other factors to mention but please let me know what you think may be relevant.

Thank you!
pk550
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KateJones1989)
Hi all,

I appreciate there's no way of getting a definitive answer for my question but any help would be truly appreciated!

In summary, I graduated in 2011 with a first class law degree for a top 10-20 UK university. We weren't given rankings but I would estimate I was in the top 5-10% of my year. At the time, I was really interested in going to the bar. Sadly, I couldn't afford it so had to go down the solicitor route. I have just finished my 2 year training contract and am now a litigation solicitor.

I am now in a position where I would like to go back to study either the Oxford BCL or the Cambridge LLM in a bid to strengthen my eventual application for pupillage.

Could anyone let me know what they think of my chances of getting on either of these courses?

In terms of strengths, I have very good work experience and have a strong rapport with my former lecturers so should have a relatively good set of references.

In terms of weaknesses, in my first year at university I received low 2:1/2:2 marks (averaging around 60) but averaged around 70/71 for my last two years. I have AAB at A-level.

I'm not sure what other factors to mention but please let me know what you think may be relevant.

Thank you!
I definitely think you have the possibility of being admitted for either Cambridge's LLM or Oxford's BCL.

I was recently lucky enough to get offers for both and my academic background is not too different from yours.

Good luck with it!
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You definitely have a good enough chance to make it worth applying.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you have a reasonable chance at the Cambridge LLM and somewhat less chance at the BCL. That said, I got rejected from both so what do I know! It's certainly worth applying and seeing how it goes anyway, it 'only' costs £50 to apply.
craigrden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
I think you have a reasonable chance at the Cambridge LLM and somewhat less chance at the BCL. That said, I got rejected from both so what do I know! It's certainly worth applying and seeing how it goes anyway, it 'only' costs £50 to apply.
Did you get a first? any reasons why you think you were rejected? Did you end up doing an LLM elsewhere? :confused:
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by craigrden)
Did you get a first? any reasons why you think you were rejected? Did you end up doing an LLM elsewhere? :confused:
Yes, I got the highest first in my year. No idea why I was rejected, was very surprised and disappointed about it at the time. Neither Oxford nor Cambridge give anything other than a standard PFO email. I'm doing my LL.M. at UCL now, but I might apply to Oxford again next year to do a DPhil. Won't reapply to Cambridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed