Laptop suggests for a tech noob Watch

GorlimtheUnhappy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,

I'll be needed a laptop for university. I can either use an "old" 2012 Mac book Pro 13" or buy a new laptop. My budget is £859 (The price of a Mac book Air). I'll only be using MATLAB for first year so I guess I don't need a specific set up.

I browse the internet a lot - watch movies, I game a fair bit and would like to stream a tiny bit (not 7 hours a day but maybe 7 hours a week). I play Dota 2 on lowest settings - graphics don't mean much to me. I'm just worried I'll kill my laptop if I stream intensively. Any suggestions? *I won't be streaming Dota 2 but AoEII.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy)
Hi guys,

I'll be needed a laptop for university. I can either use an "old" 2012 Mac book Pro 13" or buy a new laptop. My budget is £859 (The price of a Mac book Air). I'll only be using MATLAB for first year so I guess I don't need a specific set up.

I browse the internet a lot - watch movies, I game a fair bit and would like to stream a tiny bit (not 7 hours a day but maybe 7 hours a week). I play Dota 2 on lowest settings - graphics don't mean much to me. I'm just worried I'll kill my laptop if I stream intensively. Any suggestions? *I won't be streaming Dota 2 but AoEII.

When you say use a 2012 MacBook Pro do you mean you already have it?
longsightdon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2012 mackbook pro should be fine for what your doing. Any other questions please ask
GorlimtheUnhappy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
When you say use a 2012 MacBook Pro do you mean you already have it?
It's my sister's and she's kindly offered to give it to me.
SO basically if I take hers, she'll but a new Air.
Alternatively, she can keep her Pro from 2012, and I can buy a laptop of my choice.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's my sister's and she's kindly offered to give it to me.
SO basically if I take hers, she'll but a new Air.
Alternatively, she can keep her Pro from 2012, and I can buy a laptop of my choice.
Oh right, I see. The 2012 Pro is still a perfectly good computer, it will still have a few years of life in it and be fine for your intended uses. If you (or for your sister) want to buy a new computer, have a look at the Apple Store prices after student discount, you'll get a reduction of about 15% so your budget will go quite a bit further.
GorlimtheUnhappy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Oh right, I see. The 2012 Pro is still a perfectly good computer, it will still have a few years of life in it and be fine for your intended uses. If you (or for your sister) want to buy a new computer, have a look at the Apple Store prices after student discount, you'll get a reduction of about 15% so your budget will go quite a bit further.
Thanks - yeah I think the 13" Air is 999 and drops down to 860.
GorlimtheUnhappy
Rep:
?
I'll probably emulate a Windows OS with a virtual machine - idk much about the procedure but how will the Mac 2012 run efficiently or will it be too cpu intensive?
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll probably emulate a Windows OS with a virtual machine - idk much about the procedure but how will the Mac 2012 run efficiently or will it be too cpu intensive?
I actually run AoE2 on a VM (Parallels) all the time. It works very well. What do you mean "stream"?
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is the MBP 2012 one with the Retina Display?
GorlimtheUnhappy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
I actually run AoE2 on a VM (Parallels) all the time. It works very well. What do you mean "stream"?
I'm part of a very small community of gamers who play a collection of old CS maps from 2000. The number of players are dwindling and I'd like to stream some games to attract new players. Sadly it's hard to even get a decent game with 8 people

(Original post by Alfissti)
Is the MBP 2012 one with the Retina Display?
Sadly it doesn't have a Retina Display Can't have everything I guess...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (62)
9.54%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.62%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.31%

Watched Threads