The Student Room Group

Advice needed (Academically good but very low UKCAT)

Hello, I recently sat my UKCAT Test and unfortunately managed a severely low score (just below 600). My quantitative and abstract reasoning scores were in the high 700s and 600s, respectively. However the other two sections were poor (low 500s). I was surprised to see it. But my main concern is the fact that I have fairly good grades yet feel that they will be undermined by the poor UKCAT performance. Moreover, I am unsure if any universities would consider an applicant with such a disparity in ability seriously.

My GCSE grades are 7A*s and 6As (achieved 2013) and the recently received AS Level results were 4As for biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Additionally, I also commit to volunteering and other extracuricullar activities.

I understand that there is a prospect of a BMAT sitting, but I don't want to consider it immediately. I would appreciate any perspective as to what you would do if you were in my situation. Would you still apply to study medicine? If so, what universities would you suggest? I would appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks in advance
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by san25
Hello, I recently sat my UKCAT Test and unfortunately managed a severely low score (just below 600). My quantitative and abstract reasoning scores were in the high 700s and 600s, respectively. However the other two sections were poor (low 500s). I was surprised to see it. But my main concern is the fact that I have fairly good grades yet feel that they will be undermined by the poor UKCAT performance. Moreover, I am unsure if any universities would consider an applicant with such a disparity in ability seriously.

My GCSE grades are 7A*s and 6As (achieved 2013) and the recently received AS Level results were 4As for biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Additionally, I also commit to volunteering and other extracuricullar activities.

I understand that there is a prospect of a BMAT sitting, but I don't want to consider it immediately. I would appreciate any perspective as to what you would do if you were in my situation. Would you still apply to study medicine? If so, what universities would you suggest? I would appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks in advance

There are 3 choices.

Either Do some research on to which universities consider ukcat and do not apply to them.

Take a Gap year a re do the ukcat next year.

Sit the Damn BMAT
Reply 2
Original post by san25

Thanks in advance

You can still apply for natural sciences and then be transferred to medicine after a year or so. Or, have a thought about foundation in medicine. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ucki
You can still apply for natural sciences and then be transferred to medicine after a year or so. Or, have a thought about foundation in medicine. :smile:

Thanks man, I will look into that. Although, I didn't know about transfer opportunities after a year on a different course (I only knew about graduate entry). And, I definately don't meet the criteria for foundation entry. I will consider BMAT :-)

Original post by Famokhan
There are 3 choices.

Either Do some research on to which universities consider ukcat and do not apply to them.

Take a Gap year a re do the ukcat next year.

Sit the Damn BMAT

Thanks, I probably will sit the BMAT. It seemed obvious to do so but I simply wanted to finish up on entrance exams and not think about them
Original post by san25

Thanks in advance

If I were you i would not resit. Your as levels and gcses are of a good standard so sit the BMAT and apply to Birmingham and Bristol who don't use the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
In complete honest avoid the ukcat universities, UKCAT results are becoming increasing better and better each year where even 700 is becoming a 'okay' result.:unimpressed: Definitely consider the BMAT as you mentioned you have. BUT there is a stark difference between UKCAT and BMAT and I believe that BMAT needs a lot more preparation compared to the UKCAT. I found BMAT MUCH harder then the ukcat, where the time limit for BMAT was .... what I would say... extremely stressful:argh:. But with enough preparation you'll do fine. Start now! As you want to be able to also start preparing for your A2 examinations (the sooner the better.:afraid:) Taking the BMAT exam would mean you would of already applied for the medical school universities and it would only be later on you'd find out your results, so if possible keep your number of BMAT uni's to the bare minimum. Your excellent grades will definitely help outshine your UKCAT score (which isn't too bad) and I'm sure you'll be able to get a place. Once this year is over it's over!!

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by MrStealYourGirl
If I were you i would not resit. Your as levels and gcses are of a good standard so sit the BMAT and apply to Birmingham and Bristol who don't use the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I have been considering those unis and might apply to them :smile:

Original post by Layontheland
In complete honest avoid the ukcat universities, UKCAT results are becoming increasing better and better each year where even 700 is becoming a 'okay' result.:unimpressed: Definitely consider the BMAT as you mentioned you have. BUT there is a stark difference between UKCAT and BMAT and I believe that BMAT needs a lot more preparation compared to the UKCAT. I found BMAT MUCH harder then the ukcat, where the time limit for BMAT was .... what I would say... extremely stressful:argh:. But with enough preparation you'll do fine. Start now! As you want to be able to also start preparing for your A2 examinations (the sooner the better.:afraid:) Taking the BMAT exam would mean you would of already applied for the medical school universities and it would only be later on you'd find out your results, so if possible keep your number of BMAT uni's to the bare minimum. Your excellent grades will definitely help outshine your UKCAT score (which isn't too bad) and I'm sure you'll be able to get a place. Once this year is over it's over!!

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, I feel more hopeful. I appreciate you sharing your personal experience aswell :smile:

Quick Reply