Advice on my education life BTEC/GCSE/A-LEVEL CLASH!

Watch
LillyAllen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi There
Here is my problem that I would like your opinion on:
I am 16 years old and I recently wanted to go to sxith form. So I applied to one. AT GCSE I did BTEC Level 2 Applied Science and wanted to do Law, I got an offer and everything then suddenly something happened to me that made me want to do science (Biology, Physics and Chemistry A-levels.

I got a D* in my BTEC BTW. To cut the story short I got refused to do science A-Levels and managed to find a private school that will allow me to do GCSE science. This however will mean that I will go college/sxith form to do A-levels one year later.

I am really worried because I am going to be really old when I start A-levels.

And everyone is saying that A-Level sciences are really hard, is it?

And because I am going to be one year older does that mean I cannot go to a Sxith form?

Also I am going to be doing GCSE Double Science in 1 year, is this enough time for me?

Any advice or help would be good for me!:confused:

Also I know about the BTEC Level 3 Applied science, but I would rather do a recognized and traditional method as I spoke to a head of science and he said to me that I cannot get a good high paying science related job. Is this true?

I am really confused and need any advice! please

bye.
username1222417
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LillyAllen)
Hi There
I am 16 years old and I recently wanted to go to sxith form. So I applied to one. AT GCSE I did BTEC Level 2 Applied Science and wanted to do Law, I got an offer and everything then suddenly something happened to me that made me want to do science (Biology, Physics and Chemistry A-levels.

I got a D* in my BTEC BTW. To cut the story short I got refused to do science A-Levels and managed to find a private school that will allow me to do GCSE science. This however will mean that I will go college/sxith form to do A-levels one year later.

And because I am going to be one year older does that mean I cannot go to a Sxith form?

Also I am going to be doing GCSE Double Science in 1 year, is this enough time for me?

Also I know about the BTEC Level 3 Applied science, but I would rather do a recognized and traditional method as I spoke to a head of science and he said to me that I cannot get a good high paying science related job. Is this true?

bye.
Hi there,

Is a-level sciences hard? YES, though I'm not taking them at a-level, I'd imagine its trying to remember A LOT of as much as possible for each science and harder equations in chemistry and physics and more advanced experiments. I don't think it'll be easy.

Does being on year older affect you being able to go sixth form? NO, though you will see most sixth forms have age requirements most will make expectations, as long as you're not 20 by the time you start or finish you'll be alright, but mention this to wherever you're applying just in case. trust me I'm speaking from experience I'm 17 right now in my new sixth form college and I'll be 19 when I leave

Are you going to be doing GCSE Double Science in 1 year, is it enough time? YES, you will finish sometime in June, it is enough time especially considering you'll be doing one subject and its a gcse so it should be a piece of cake, don't worry i would also suggest during this time in September you apply to colleges straight away.

it's true btec isn't as respected or recognised compared to a-level? YES and NO. So many people still get into uni and find jobs with btecs and honestly for the sciences i don't know which would be better either taking btec or a-level. but these questions should help point you in the right direction, if you answer them then i can help you a bit further:

did you take gcse core science if so what was your grade most if not all sixth forms will want BB (core/double) to do the sciences?

why did you take btec applied science at level 2, is it because you perform better in coursework rather than exams?

have you researched the type of science apprenticeships or university degrees you could get in with, with a btec level 3 in applied science? (strongly suggest you do this)

have you considered a-level applied science? you should see if colleges will take you onto that course with your btec?

what career do you want to go into, what is it you want to do? and have you checked the requirements for this? (again i strongly suggest you do this)
LillyAllen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by cathzeta10)
Hi there,

Is a-level sciences hard? YES, though I'm not taking them at a-level, I'd imagine its trying to remember A LOT of as much as possible for each science and harder equations in chemistry and physics and more advanced experiments. I don't think it'll be easy.

Does being on year older affect you being able to go sixth form? NO, though you will see most sixth forms have age requirements most will make expectations, as long as you're not 20 by the time you start or finish you'll be alright, but mention this to wherever you're applying just in case. trust me I'm speaking from experience I'm 17 right now in my new sixth form college and I'll be 19 when I leave

Are you going to be doing GCSE Double Science in 1 year, is it enough time? YES, you will finish sometime in June, it is enough time especially considering you'll be doing one subject and its a gcse so it should be a piece of cake, don't worry i would also suggest during this time in September you apply to colleges straight away.

it's true btec isn't as respected or recognised compared to a-level? YES and NO. So many people still get into uni and find jobs with btecs and honestly for the sciences i don't know which would be better either taking btec or a-level. but these questions should help point you in the right direction, if you answer them then i can help you a bit further:

did you take gcse core science if so what was your grade most if not all sixth forms will want BB (core/double) to do the sciences?

why did you take btec applied science at level 2, is it because you perform better in coursework rather than exams?

have you researched the type of science apprenticeships or university degrees you could get in with, with a btec level 3 in applied science? (strongly suggest you do this)

have you considered a-level applied science? you should see if colleges will take you onto that course with your btec?

what career do you want to go into, what is it you want to do? and have you checked the requirements for this? (again i strongly suggest you do this)
Hi Thanks for giving me a answer!
Well I took Btec Level 2 because I was better in corsework however my Biology grades were like A/B and my chemisty and physics grades were like C/D however this was when I was in year 9 so I might have improved, also many teachers persuaded me (and I hate them for it) to do BTEC, I thought it would be a more easier way to get to uni but how wrong I was. I did speak to a head of sixth form and changed one of my subjects to BTEC level 3 science but I thought I dont want any problems and to be on the safe side go for a more traditional route of A-level science, Which is why I have to do my GCSE Science again.

Thanks for telling me to apply to colleges. sixth forms, I will do that this month

And did you stay back a year too? and if you did why?
I recently changed my career path to science and want to become a Dermatologist.
username1222417
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Thanks for giving me a answer!
Well I took Btec Level 2 because I was better in corsework however my Biology grades were like A/B and my chemisty and physics grades were like C/D however this was when I was in year 9 so I might have improved, also many teachers persuaded me (and I hate them for it) to do BTEC, I thought it would be a more easier way to get to uni but how wrong I was. I did speak to a head of sixth form and changed one of my subjects to BTEC level 3 science but I thought I dont want any problems and to be on the safe side go for a more traditional route of A-level science, Which is why I have to do my GCSE Science again.

Thanks for telling me to apply to colleges. sixth forms, I will do that this month

And did you stay back a year too? and if you did why?
I recently changed my career path to science and want to become a Dermatologist.
glad i could help

and honestly if you do better in coursework than exams then btec is for you plus the fact that you're doing gcse science again. but since you want to be a dermatlogist i would defiently recommend you do a-level biology for sure but if you find yourself not being able to do a-levels you should look up another way how you could be a dermatologist. you could still do the btec but take a foundation then progress onto a degree related to dermatology.

and to answer your question i didn't stay back i was still in education i'm just currently retaking the year 12 as i wanted to change the subjects i was studying and also improve my grades so i can get better results at A2.
tryrevise
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to be a dermatologist you'll have to go to medical school; you'll have to train for over a decade after you finish your A-levels. You need good GCSEs and 3 full A levels at an A grade and an AS, you wouldn't be able to get in with a BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
someone72
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi There

bye.
1. I've started my a-level biology and chemistry and I don't find it that that hard so far but I think it could be the amount you have to remember that could be hard the understanding. I think doing all 3 sciences could be hard but I don't know how smart you are and how good your memory is so assuming you have sightly above average intelligence, unless there's nothing else you want to do, I would advice you to only do 2 sciences. My chemistry teacher asked who out of our class is doing biology and she said it's hard to do both but if you like it them both and are prepared to put the work in then it's ok. Also I'd advice you that when you've finished a section/topic to make note of them.

2. I don't live in England so I don't know about 6th forum colleges but I assume it would be ok, there is a transaction year in many school (were they repeat some GCSEs) so I assume they have the option to do A-levels after. Also many people do A-level over 3 years sixth forum colleges have an age limit it would be 19/20.

3. It depend on how you cope with the pressure and amount of work. I done it over 2 years and I found it ok but there's no moduels in England anymore so I don't know want it would be like without them. I think it's quite a lot to remember but it would prepare you for the amount of remembering at a-level

4. Yes and no. It's sort of equviled. At work it depends on how liberal your employer would be. At university you usally need about 8 BTECs to be accepted. I would advice the A-level route. Schools and colleges are encouraging the BTEC route because it's easier and make their "exam results" look better.
Ruqi_Cookie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could apply to college if you're going to be 17 when you start A levels, that won't be a problem. If you wanted, couldn't you do btec applied science level 3 and then they might still let you do gcse science on the side

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (429)
56.75%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed