The Student Room Group

Understanding Statistics thread

Hello. I have heard Statistics (S1) is easy but am having trouble understanding Discrete random variables, the normal distribution and correlation and regression- the rest seems just like GCSE content (easy).
There seem to be lots of long equations which don't have an explanation for.
Would anybody know whether statistics is about applying the formulas or should you understand them? - Also, how would you go about understanding them?
Would anybody also know why we use the standard deviation when numbers further away from the mean are over- weighted compared to values close to the mean. It doesn't make sense why we do this and not just use the MAD.
Also, what's the difference between the SD and the variance?
I am thankful for any help.
Original post by MathMeister
Hello. I have heard Statistics (S1) is easy but am having trouble understanding Discrete random variables, the normal distribution and correlation and regression- the rest seems just like GCSE content (easy).
There seem to be lots of long equations which don't have an explanation for.
Would anybody know whether statistics is about applying the formulas or should you understand them? - Also, how would you go about understanding them?

personally i think it is a mix

for e.g. the normal distribution is easy if you understand it - just a bit of graph transformations and an understanding of symmetry

whereas the sexy equations are horrible so i just "use them"
What are
Original post by TenOfThem
the sexy equations
What are

Sxx
Syy
Sxy
Reply 4
Would anybody also know why we use the standard deviation when numbers further away from the mean are over- weighted compared to values close to the mean. It doesn't make sense why we do this and not just use the MAD.Also, what's the difference between the SD and the variance?
I am thankful for any help.

This is partly historical and partly for technical reasons - if you're doing advanced things like differentiating statistical functions it's easier to deal with squares and square roots than it is to manipulate things inside modulus signs! The practical answer to your question is that you're going to see the standard deviation crop up in all sorts of places if you do any statistical work in the future, so you need to be comfortable with how it's worked out!

SD is the square root of the variance.
Reply 5
Sxx
Syy
Sxy

Your advise on this forum has truly been outstanding. From what i've seen over the years.

You really should be nominated to be a moderator.
Always a bad idea to be using formulas or "equations" you do not know and understand.
Original post by queensboy
Your advise on this forum has truly been outstanding. From what i've seen over the years.
You really should be nominated to be a moderator.

True
Original post by davros
...SD is the square root of the variance.

Is it that the SD is the measure of how spread out values are from the mean and variance is how spread out values are from each other?
Original post by Old_Simon
Always a bad idea to be using formulas or "equations" you do not know and understand.

I like understanding every equation I may need to use. Usually, this also helps learn the topic very well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
True

Is it that the SD is the measure of how spread out values are from the mean and variance is how spread out values are from each other?

No, the SD is as you say and the variance is just the square of the SD (it doesn't have a natural interpretation because it's in squared units which aren't particularly helpful, e.g. if you're measuring masses in kg then the variance will be in kg^2 which isn't a useful unit!!)

I am obsessed with understanding every equation I may need to use. Usually, this also helps learn the topic very well.

It is the only proper way to learn maths and will stand you in good stead if you do a Math degree.
Original post by davros

Is there a way to understand and make sense of the sexy equations and why they find the amount of correlation?
Is there a way to understand and make sense of the sexy equations and why they find the amount of correlation?

Yes, of course

When introducing them I am sure your teacher will "develop" them

Quick Reply

Latest