The Student Room Group

Do you Have to Declare a Traffic Offence on Your UCAS Application?

Hi guys!

On the UCAS application form, there is a box which talks about unspent convictions, and you tick it if you have an unspent conviction.
Would you tick it if you have a traffic offence, such as cycling on the pavement and received a £50 fine for cycling on the pavement, but paid the fine?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ΘTheta
Hi guys!

On the UCAS application form, there is a box which talks about unspent convictions, and you tick it if you have an unspent conviction.
Would you tick it if you have a traffic offence, such as cycling on the road but paid the fine?

Thanks!

Cycling on the road isn't a crime (unless it is a motorway). A road is where you are supposed to cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ditto what nulli said, but if you actually have an unspent conviction for something that really is a crime, then you do need to declare it.

The uni won't care that you have a conviction for a minor traffic offence, but they will care if you lie about it / attempt to cover it up.
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
Cycling on the road isn't a crime (unless it is a motorway). A road is where you are supposed to cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Origami Bullets
Ditto what nulli said, but if you actually have an unspent conviction for something that really is a crime, then you do need to declare it.

The uni won't care that you have a conviction for a minor traffic offence, but they will care if you lie about it / attempt to cover it up.

Oh sorry, I mean to say cycling on the pavement.

What would happen now?
Original post by ΘTheta
Oh sorry, I mean to say cycling on the pavement.

What would happen now?

Were you given a conviction officially?
Reply 5
Original post by Slowbro93
Were you given a conviction officially?

What do you mean?

I was only given a fine and then told I could leave after receiving the fine.
Original post by ΘTheta
What do you mean?

I was only given a fine and then told I could leave after receiving the fine.

So do you have a conviction for riding on the pavement. They would have told you if you had one.
Reply 7
Original post by Slowbro93
So do you have a conviction for riding on the pavement. They would have told you if you had one.

I'm not sure, how do you find out?
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets

How could you cover it up?
No university is going to refuse to offer a place to a decent candidate for cycling on the pavement.
Reply 10
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No university is going to refuse to offer a place to a decent candidate for cycling on the pavement.

I'm applying for Medicine, and am worried that if they carry out a CRB check, it might appear on there, and I know how strict universities are for medicine if you fail your CRB.
Would it matter to universities for Medicine?
Original post by ΘTheta
I'm applying for Medicine, and am worried that if they carry out a CRB check, it might appear on there, and I know how strict universities are for medicine if you fail your CRB.
Would it matter to universities for Medicine?

They are pretty strict but as far as I'm aware (and don't quote me on this) it's not a crime, merely something civil or other. Put it down if in doubt and forget about it, because no admissions tutor is going to judge you unworthy just for cycling on the pavement and having to pay a fine for it. It's not the kind of crime they are worried about!
Reply 12
They are pretty strict but as far as I'm aware (and don't quote me on this) it's not a crime, merely something civil or other. Put it down if in doubt and forget about it, because no admissions tutor is going to judge you unworthy just for cycling on the pavement and having to pay a fine for it. It's not the kind of crime they are worried about!

What do you mean by that?
Thanks
Original post by ΘTheta
What do you mean by that?
Thanks

I mean if you are worried that by not putting it down, you will get into trouble, then put it down. It won't affect your admission or otherwise. However, for what it's worth, I don't think it is something you need to declare, but then I'm no lawyer. However, I will quote in someone who is for his opinion.

nulli tertius

Blackacre
I mean if you are worried that by not putting it down, you will get into trouble, then put it down. It won't affect your admission or otherwise. However, for what it's worth, I don't think it is something you need to declare, but then I'm no lawyer. However, I will quote in someone who is for his opinion.

I'm not a lawyer for another 12 hours - and even then only a trainee! Unfortunately I'm also not experienced in this area of law, so I'm going to have to decline.

Hope you get it sorted, OP. :smile:
Original post by Blackacre
I'm not a lawyer for another 12 hours - and even then only a trainee! Unfortunately I'm also not experienced in this area of law, so I'm going to have to decline.

Hope you get it sorted, OP. :smile:

I'm afraid that's why I put you in second....:tongue: (And good luck tomorrow!)
(edited 9 years ago)

I agree, but I do know someone with a visual impairment who would consider that the legal system was going soft even if the OP's head had ended up on a pole on London Bridge.

Original post by ΘTheta
I'm not sure, how do you find out?

A fixed penalty notice is not a conviction and does not have to be disclosed in answer to a question about convictions. Oddly a fixed penalty notice, unlike a caution, carries no admission of guilt.

Various professional bodies may require specific disclosure of fixed penalty notices (and the Solicitors Regulation Authority, which couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery, is yet again in a complete mess about them).

On about 10 occasions a year a fixed penalty notice is disclosed on a DBS check. The reasons for these specific disclosures out of all the thousands of FPNs and thousands of DBS checks are unclear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Since when are you not allowed to cycle on the pavement?! News to me :eek:
Reply 18
Original post by nulli tertius
I agree, but I do know someone with a visual impairment who would consider that the legal system was going soft even if the OP's head had ended up on a pole on London Bridge.

A fixed penalty notice is not a conviction and does not have to be disclosed in answer to a question about convictions. Oddly a fixed penalty notice, unlike a caution, carries no admission of guilt.

Various professional bodies may require specific disclosure of fixed penalty notices (and the Solicitors Regulation Authority, which couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery, is yet again in a complete mess about them).

On about 10 occasions a year a fixed penalty notice is disclosed on a DBS check. The reasons for these specific disclosures out of all the thousands of FPNs and thousands of DBS checks are unclear.

Thanks for the reply. So the fix penalty notice is spent immediately I presume, or am I mistaken?

Thanks!
Original post by ΘTheta
Thanks for the reply. So the fix penalty notice is spent immediately I presume, or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Only convictions and cautions become spent; an FPN isn't a conviction at all. It doesn't even form part of the system. Anybody specifically requesting disclosure of FPNs is going to have a hard time with the Information Commissioner in trying to justify the processing of such sensitive personal data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending