What do you think of these set of Alevels?

Watch
AshJK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The Alevels that I'm picking is chem bio maths and rs or also known as ethics and philosophy

I'm looking going towards the route of science as I really enjoy it and my gcse indicate that I also do well at it! (A*A) how compatible would you say RS is with these subjects and if you have picked RS, did you enjoy it? What were the best parts ? How large is the work load? Any tips for any of the subjects ! I think my exam board is AQA for RS AQA for chem bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RS isn't relevant really, but it doesn't matter. They will usually look for your subject choice + another science for most courses so you're fine.
eggpotato
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Didn't know AQA did philosophy and ethics.. do you mean OCR? Anyway I've just done my first year of OCR RS Philosophy & Ethics and it's actually my favourite subject.

As for compatibility with science, I honestly found that there was some sciencey stuff in some parts of philosophy e.g. with irreducible complexity/intelligent design, and when we went into details about the big bang theory and evolution. Other than that, I would say they're pretty different and require different skills! But I'm just guessing seeing as I didn't do science or maths.

Like I said, it's my favourite subject and I did enjoy it.. I don't know I guess I just find the content really interesting i.e. learning different viewpoints and different arguments for things like abortion, the existence of God etc. It's a really eye-opening and insightful subject in my opinion. And apparently it's one of the more respected arts subjects (only slightly behind the likes of English Lit and History)

The workload.. hmm, well for me it wasn't that much. I think I got more workload from my other subjects (psychology in particular). Even though you may not get frequent homework/assignments, there's still ****loads you need to know in order to do well! So I would advise to look at past papers, write essays in time conditions, give it to your teacher to mark, and repeat. There's a lot of content but I found that with RS (both in philosophy and in ethics) you could get away without learning one or two topics (as they give you a fair amount of choices to choose from in the exam)

A lot of people (even ones that are prone to more essay-based subjects) found the essay writing a bit tough at first. It may be slightly hard to get the hang of it at first but with practise you'll definitely be fine!

Other tips are the same for every other subject really.. just try and keep on top of the work and keep revising even if exams seem like ages away.

Good luckkk

ps: Even if RS may seem irrelevant, I think it's a great fourth choice because it makes you seem more well rounded, and it's just nice to have a subject a bit different to your other ones
AshJK
Rep:
?
(Original post by eggpotato)
Didn't know AQA did philosophy and ethics.. do you mean OCR? Anyway I've just done my first year of OCR RS Philosophy & Ethics and it's actually my favourite subject.

As for compatibility with science, I honestly found that there was some sciencey stuff in some parts of philosophy e.g. with irreducible complexity/intelligent design, and when we went into details about the big bang theory and evolution. Other than that, I would say they're pretty different and require different skills! But I'm just guessing seeing as I didn't do science or maths.

Like I said, it's my favourite subject and I did enjoy it.. I don't know I guess I just find the content really interesting i.e. learning different viewpoints and different arguments for things like abortion, the existence of God etc. It's a really eye-opening and insightful subject in my opinion. And apparently it's one of the more respected arts subjects (only slightly behind the likes of English Lit and History)

The workload.. hmm, well for me it wasn't that much. I think I got more workload from my other subjects (psychology in particular). Even though you may not get frequent homework/assignments, there's still ****loads you need to know in order to do well! So I would advise to look at past papers, write essays in time conditions, give it to your teacher to mark, and repeat. There's a lot of content but I found that with RS (both in philosophy and in ethics) you could get away without learning one or two topics (as they give you a fair amount of choices to choose from in the exam)

A lot of people (even ones that are prone to more essay-based subjects) found the essay writing a bit tough at first. It may be slightly hard to get the hang of it at first but with practise you'll definitely be fine!

Other tips are the same for every other subject really.. just try and keep on top of the work and keep revising even if exams seem like ages away.

Good luckkk

ps: Even if RS may seem irrelevant, I think it's a great fourth choice because it makes you seem more well rounded, and it's just nice to have a subject a bit different to your other ones
Thankyou, Em im not to sure i just assumed that the same exam board continued on to Alevel from gcse, :dontknow: Yay that's exactly why I'm choosing RS I believe it's thought provoking, interesting, trains the mind to become more open minded, and also helps build up character too thankyou for your reply really appreciate it !

Posted from TSR Mobile
AshJK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nymthae)
RS isn't relevant really, but it doesn't matter. They will usually look for your subject choice + another science for most courses so you're fine.
Yep I guess so, thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (600)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.46%

Watched Threads