The Student Room Group

driving instructor wants me to pay £25 to getting his car fixed

i hit the side of something , we stopped and checked if it car was ok and driving instructor was like my wheel messed up and will cost me £50 u will have to give me £25 for it but i couldnt see anything wrong and said ill pay it surely though any damage would be sorte through his insurance, i dont want to give him money for no reason

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nah I wouldn't
His insurance should pay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would not pay, this is exactly what his insurance is for.
Reply 4
Part of your lesson fee goes towards his fuel / insurance costs.
Don't pay, he's being unprofessional at best and exploiting impressionable 17-year-olds.

I would point him in the direction of his insurer, to whose premium you and other customers have already contributed, and if he tells you to sling your hook, gently threaten that this is highly irregular and you might have to tell other people in the local area about his conduct.

What he wants to do is fix the damage out of his own pocket without going to his insurer. He can do that if he wants - and I have every sympathy with him, if Satan was around these days he would be an insurance man - but you are under no obligation to pay him £25 unless he estimates the amount it saved him on his premium and pays half the difference to you in perpetuity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't pay and find a new instructor.
Reply 7
Original post by dattaniamar
i hit the side of something , we stopped and checked if it car was ok and driving instructor was like my wheel messed up and will cost me £50 u will have to give me £25 for it but i couldnt see anything wrong and said ill pay it surely though any damage would be sorte through his insurance, i dont want to give him money for no reason

Your lesson fee goes towards his maintenance and insurance. Don't pay.
if he's a proper instructor he should've been fully aware that you were about to hit something, rather than to let it happen and let it snowball to this - stand your ground and change instructors..
pay him half
That's what his insurance is for, find a new instructor
tell him to get ****ed and say if he wants to take it further, you'll consult the driving instructor regulation body (what is it over there, adi?) and get their view on the matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Virgin at 23.
Are you stupid or what? the so called '' lesson fee'' goes towards labor, he is teaching a profession

by the way, Nicola is ugly

So where does the funds for insurance come from then, genius? Does he grow it on a magic money tree?
Perhaps you need me to draw you a picture.
Self employed people (the instructor) get their funds from their punters (the learner)

A percentage of every lesson fee pays for fuel, maintainence, road tax, insurance, public liability insurance and advertising. This is called running a business. If you can't work that out then you're obviously not cut out for self employment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
If you can't work that out then you're obviously not cut out for self employment.

Who said he intends to be self employed?
Reply 14
lol thats a madness
Reply 15
It's his fault anyway. You're under his supervision. If he was paying attention he would have intervened.
Original post by dattaniamar

How the hell would the instructor know how much it would cost to get the issue fixed there and then? You wouldnt know much it would cost until you went to a garage to get a quote for any repairs.
Switch instructors, I wouldn't want to be in the same car as him after you refuse to pay on the correct grounds.
Reply 18
He should have dual control and should be using it! If you hit something that's as much if not more his fault than yours! If it's only £50 damage that'll be less than his excess so his insurer probably wont pay it but that isn't your problem that's his!
Do not pay it find a new instructor that's totally unprofessional! The only way it's acceptable is if prior to lessons commencing youd signed an agreement saying you take responsibility for any damages.incurred! I highly doubt you did this so dont pay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get a new instructor!
He should have an insurance policy which covers him anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending