The Student Room Group

HELP: is it possible to get A* at A2 if you got B at AS

Is it possible to get A* at A2 if you got B at AS. i was few marks off an A.
Reply 1
yes
can you expand please

what do i need to do
Reply 3
Yes. Resit some AS modules to bring your AS up to an A
Reply 4
Original post by golden tribe

Yes. You need do no better in A2 than someone who got an A at AS.

For an A* you need:
at least 320/400 or 480/600 in the A level
at least 180/200 or 270/300 in the A2.

Yep, it's very possible. Having a B at AS means you got at least 70%. Getting an A* at A2 means getting 90% at A2 AND obtaining 80% in the overall A Level. 70% and 90% = 80% average. However, seeing as you only got 70% in the AS, the likelihood of you getting 90% in the harder A2 exams seems low... unless you majorly up the amount of work you're doing. It's still possible though! Good luck :smile:
Original post by LauraB101
Yep, it's very possible. Having a B at AS means you got at least 70%. Getting an A* at A2 means getting 90% at A2 AND obtaining 80% in the overall A Level. 70% and 90% = 80% average. However, seeing as you only got 70% in the AS, the likelihood of you getting 90% in the harder A2 exams seems low... unless you majorly up the amount of work you're doing. It's still possible though! Good luck :smile:

so if i get 90% or above in my a2 units can i get an A* overall
so if i get 90% or above in my a2 units can i get an A* overall

Yes, you'll have an A* overall
Yes, you'll have an A* overall

thanks

do you have any revision techniques
Reply 9
Do you not need 80% at least at AS and then 90% or above at A2 to come out overall with an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks

do you have any revision techniques

What A Levels are you doing?
I got a D in AS socio and got an A* at A2 with the help of retakes. Balancing retakes with A2 can be hard especially for you guys as they've scrapped jan exams (they were so helpful!)
Original post by Nikmali
Do you not need 80% at least at AS and then 90% or above at A2 to come out overall with an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nikmali

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, not necessary - the requirement for an A* is that you have 80% overall at A Level (as well as obviously having an A* at A2), meaning getting a B at AS and an A* at A2 would average out to give an A* overall
Reply 14
Original post by Nikmali

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the 80% is overall (AS and A2) and 90% at A2 only. So if you got 60% (C) at AS then 100% at A2 (crazy I know), you'd get an A* because the 60 and 100 average to 80 overall and you've got 90+ at A2 :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by FN510
No, the 80% is overall (AS and A2) and 90% at A2 only. So if you got 60% (C) at AS then 100% at A2 (crazy I know), you'd get an A* because the 60 and 100 average to 80 overall and you've got 90+ at A2 :smile:

ahhh I see! Kinda wish the A* was at AS as well thins would be so much easier for me next year if so hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
What A Levels are you doing?

i got B in economics so what revision tips would you recommend
Reply 17
Original post by Nikmali
ahhh I see! Kinda wish the A* was at AS as well thins would be so much easier for me next year if so hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it makes an A* so much harder than an A. For an A you can get a really high A at AS at still get an A overall with a moderate C at A2
Original post by Nikmali

No, you just need 80% overall, so anything more than 70% in AS could be regarded as wasted effort.

Quick Reply

Latest