Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    np I remember when i first started trying to put my contacts in at times i got soo bloody angry cos it took so long. Sometimes putting my contacts in made me late for scool and it really pissed me off!
    yeah. i think i'll be ok. it's coz i was making sure they were really wet with the solution and they kept getting stuck to my finger. lol, so with the coloured ones you have to let them dry out a bit first and make sure your finger is dry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I dont think contact lenses can speak, let alone be interrogated
    your pedantry is becoming annoying

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, i havent worn contacts for years only really wore them for swimming and prefer glasses (except when its raining grrr). However i had daily's and my optician used to go on about making sure you don't put them on inside out as apparently they are less comfy and more likely to fall out. did anybody else encounter this and is it still true? they were those Johnson ones

ReputationRep:
    yeah its true - better if you dont put them on inside out.

ReputationRep:
    yeah its true - better if you dont put them on inside out.
    how do you tell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaerieLand)
    I have a question, i havent worn contacts for years only really wore them for swimming and prefer glasses (except when its raining grrr). However i had daily's and my optician used to go on about making sure you don't put them on inside out as apparently they are less comfy and more likely to fall out. did anybody else encounter this and is it still true? they were those Johnson ones
    my optician said you can't go swimming in contacts :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    u can't unless you wear gogles and ur sure u don't get any water in your eyes. I did it with dailys last time i was in spain, later to find out you can pick up some kind of bacteria on the lenses which will basically eat your eyeball and make you go blind.

ReputationRep:
    how do you tell?
    inside out when you have them on your finger the edges will point outwards rather straight up (its less curved inside out)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    yes, you're right i probably shouldn't have, i did wear goggles though and it was a case of either cracking my head open or possible eye infection

ReputationRep:
    yes, you're right i probably shouldn't have, i did wear goggles though and it was a case of either cracking my head open or possible eye infection
    eye infection which will eat your eyeball!

I can go without glasses if i need to. My optition said you can get goggles with lenses which correct your vision for about £30

ReputationRep:
    eye infection which will eat your eyeball!

I can go without glasses if i need to. My optition said you can get goggles with lenses which correct your vision for about £30
    Very true but i was littler and stupider! I am pratically blind unfortunately but have really cool glasses. Yeah, I didn't know about them then though, I'm getting some now

ReputationRep:
    i went swimming not knowing what could happen either.

ReputationRep:
    i went swimming not knowing what could happen either.
    well we were lucky! I think its quite rare though isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    well we were lucky! I think its quite rare though isn't it?
    yeah its very, very rare.

ReputationRep:
    np I remember when i first started trying to put my contacts in at times i got soo bloody angry cos it took so long. Sometimes putting my contacts in made me late for scool and it really pissed me off!
    I had that same problem when I first got them. It took me so long, and you end up with solution all over. But try to refrain from using too much solution, because the lenses stick to whatever surface is most moist. You have to get the contact lens wet, not your finger, otherwise even if you're pressing it against your eye, it won't leave your finger. That's an arse when it does that.
    I was told that I couldn't get them until I was 16, even though I wanted them since I was about 12. I've worn glasses from the age of about 7, and I like to have some days with glasses and some with contacts in, but mostly the lenses are better.
    I agree that it does improve your vision. It feels really liberating, being able to see the whole visual field and not just a localised area, with a big blur all around.
    It is a little intimidating when you first try them out, but (like you said about the learning to ride a bike), once you get the knack it really is nothing. Lots of people have this misconception about the eyes being incredibly delicate and untouchable. They are delicate, but they're also quite tough - it's OK to touch them.
    I'd say to all people considering to definitely try contacts - it's a massively confidence-boosting change.

ReputationRep:
    I've been wearing soft lenses for about two years. I use the daily ones because although they are a more expensive option it doesn't matter if they scratch, break or fall out and you don't have to mess around with solution and the suchlike. I wear mine 12 hours a day 6 days a week and have never had a problem with my eyes.

You want to avoid getting home (tired, drunk, whatever) and forgetting to take them out as that can be more than a little uncomfortable when you wake up!

It's not true that they're only good for low prescriptions, I think you can get them up to about +8!

ReputationRep:
    The contact cracks after a period of use.

Sometimes the whole contact moves on top of your eyeball.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nooneknows)
    I've been wearing soft lenses for about two years. I use the daily ones because although they are a more expensive option it doesn't matter if they scratch, break or fall out and you don't have to mess around with solution and the suchlike. I wear mine 12 hours a day 6 days a week and have never had a problem with my eyes.

You want to avoid getting home (tired, drunk, whatever) and forgetting to take them out as that can be more than a little uncomfortable when you wake up!

It's not true that they're only good for low prescriptions, I think you can get them up to about +8!
    I wear bifocal contacts - they are two-weekly ones and are very good but I can't wear them for more than 12 hours at at time. trouble is you still need glasses for evenings etc and to give your eyes a rest. However, they're brilliant for skiing and for walking ... or anything in the rain!

ReputationRep:
    most people have said what i was going to-i have an astigamatism in both eyes which means i need toric lenses. i saw someone say you can get daily torics now but torics are quite dear so daily torics will probably be more so. my optician said that people with a less sever astigamtaism can get away with normal lenses but my astigamtism was too severe-it was really irritating. last pair of contacts i had i tore with my long nail! tsk tsk. i've given up for the mo. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    I have prescription goggles, they were meant to be £40 but i got them half price at Specsavers. I've just got my first lot of contacts, they are daily disposables. I paid £24 for 30 pairs. I only want to wear them on the odd night out and i'll see how long this lot last me before i decide whether to sign up to a certain amount per month.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.