The Student Room Group

Advice on A-level course books?

Hi guys!

I'm going to study at a brittish university from October onwards, and since I'm not from the UK I wish to catch up with some english technical terms and the level of study. The brittish educational system is really confusing me, and although I've googled for it I can't find out what course books are normally used for A-level.

I would really appreciate if someone could name a couple of course books for A-level chemistry, math and physics, preferrably with names of the authors aswell.

Thanks!:chaplin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
What are you studying? For maths the Heinmann Edexcel textbooks would be a good place to start off at, perhaps for the more difficult modules, C3 and C4.

For physics and chemistry you could probably order a book online for each subject that would cover the A-level in its entirety, since you aren't studying A levels it doesn't really matter which you choose.
Reply 2
Original post by TirnanF
What are you studying? For maths the Heinmann Edexcel textbooks would be a good place to start off at, perhaps for the more difficult modules, C3 and C4.

For physics and chemistry you could probably order a book online for each subject that would cover the A-level in its entirety, since you aren't studying A levels it doesn't really matter which you choose.

Thanks for the input! :adore:

Can you possibly specify a couple of books for chemistry and physics aswell? As you said - probably doesn't matter which one, the thing is that I can't figure out (when searching online) what books are meant for A-level or not. I'm not stupid, just very confused since the UK educational system is completely different from the Swedish...

I'm going to study Chemistry with Molecular Physics.

Thanks again!
Reply 3
This is the one my school uses for A level Physics and it seems quite informative, however it is very expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0748715843?pc_redir=1409490272&robot_redir=1

For Chemistry, although I have no idea about this book but it has decent reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0748716882?pc_redir=1409245748&robot_redir=1
Reply 4
Thank you so much!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest