Calling ALL Londoners/Oyster Card Users!

Watch
JVD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, tomorrow I'm headed for London for a day trip with some friends, and whilst down there I'm aiming to purchase an Oyster card. This is to take advantage of the savings involved, as opposed to repeatedly buying zone 1-6 travelcards, as well as to save the hassle of buying tickets and slotting them etc etc...

So, with my 16-25 railcard, can I simply turn up at Victoria Tube station, and get an Oyster card (pay my £5 deposit) and in turn receive the 34% off my fares once calculated at the end of the day?

Thanks!

P.S Many friends I have in London keep suggesting that I get an Oyster card, as I visit enough throughout the year to make it viable and cheaper.

Maleeha121
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just buy a day travel card for 8.90. You can use it on the buses and tubes.. Oyster card will cost you alot of you plan to change many tubes.
If you're planning to stay more than a day, get and oyster with a monthly or weekly oyster train and bus top up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Truflais
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 0mgJohn)
Hey guys, tomorrow I'm headed for London for a day trip with some friends, and whilst down there I'm aiming to purchase an Oyster card. This is to take advantage of the savings involved, as opposed to repeatedly buying zone 1-6 travelcards, as well as to save the hassle of buying tickets and slotting them etc etc...

So, with my 16-25 railcard, can I simply turn up at Victoria Tube station, and get an Oyster card (pay my £5 deposit) and in turn receive the 34% off my fares once calculated at the end of the day?

Thanks!

P.S Many friends I have in London keep suggesting that I get an Oyster card, as I visit enough throughout the year to make it viable and cheaper.

In order to get the discount on your oyster fare, you buy the oyster then ask to have your 16-25 railcard loaded onto it. You'll be given a form to fill out - it takes 5 mins max, fairly simple, just asks for your email address/home address and contact details etc etc. Then you give them back the form and they link up the railcard to your oyster

(Original post by Maleeha121)
Just buy a day travel card for 8.90. You can use it on the buses and tubes.. Oyster card will cost you alot of you plan to change many tubes.
If you're planning to stay more than a day, get and oyster with a monthly or weekly oyster train and bus top up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the railcard you save on day travel cards too, I think it's something like £5.90 for a zone 1-6 travelcard but oyster card works out best if you're planning on coming to London fairly often.
JVD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Precious Illusions)
In order to get the discount on your oyster fare, you buy the oyster then ask to have your 16-25 railcard loaded onto it. You'll be given a form to fill out - it takes 5 mins max, fairly simple, just asks for your email address/home address and contact details etc etc. Then you give them back the form and they link up the railcard to your oyster

With the railcard you save on day travel cards too, I think it's something like £5.90 for a zone 1-6 travelcard but oyster card works out best if you're planning on coming to London fairly often.
You only save 40p a day with an oyster card when compared to a day travelcard, but I suspect this will soon add up, especially as I'm aiming to start uni in London next September :P
Truflais
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 0mgJohn)
You only save 40p a day with an oyster card when compared to a day travelcard, but I suspect this will soon add up, especially as I'm aiming to start uni in London next September :P
Yeah it deffo will add up then, I'd recommend getting the oyster now Remember the discount only works after 9:30am though (I think that's still the case anyway!) :yep:
username1201943
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some of the over ground trains are free.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to Travel
NikiBaz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just wanted to ask guys, when you combine your Oyster card and your 16-25 Railcard, can you use a student oyster card or does it have to be a normal one? Thankyou x
NikiBaz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Precious Illusions)

When you combine the oyster card and the 16-25 railcard, does it have to be a normal oyster card or can it be a student oyster card?
Alex17595
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you register your oyster card online you don't need to fill a form in at the ticket office, you just give them the card.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NikiBaz)
When you combine the oyster card and the 16-25 railcard, does it have to be a normal oyster card or can it be a student oyster card?
It's just the normal Oyster card, as anyone with a railcard can do this. Student Oysters are only for students at London educational institutions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads