Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At my school we had 11 houses, 60-70 boys each. Helps produce a very good "team spirit", you get to know people who you might otherwise not mix with (could be a bad thing though ).

Like a lot of people said before inter-house can be great fun and everyone can get involved somehow. Even better when your house consistently wins everything . Truthfully though, there're always 2-3 top houses at any one point, it all depends on who runs it...

Which leads me on to say how there was a hell of a lot of variation between houses (depending on who the housemaster is). I was quite happy where I was, but others might prefer for example a more relaxed environment in another house (where they can do what the hell they like). It helps accommodate quite a wide range of personalities, whereas other schools I've been to tend to only accept clones.

ReputationRep:
    At my first senior school we had a really weird system..we were split into forms B D J F N S T (Brunel, Dickens, umm something beginning with J, FLemming, Nightingale , Scott, Turner) and as the year was big we were then split into Alpha (containing B D J F) and Beta (N S T) I was in S....

Second school was split into boarding and day houses
    Southcome (my house - girls boarding)
    Jack Tigg (girls boarding)
    School (boys boarding)
    Channon (boys boarding)
    Laker (girls day)
    Ashurst (girls day)
    Fielding (boys day)
    Sibley (boys day)

Third was a girls boarding school split into junior day and boarding Lower Sixth House and Upper Sixth House - I think they were all founders of the school
    Maddock and Ffyler (boarding)
    Wilkins (boarding)
    Webbe (day)
    Wisdome (day)

Holmes (L6)
    Mitchell (U6)

Phew...so many houses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucykins)
    At my first senior school we had a really weird system..we were split into forms B D J F N S T (Brunel, Dickens, umm something beginning with J, FLemming, Nightingale , Scott, Turner) and as the year was big we were then split into Alpha (containing B D J F) and Beta (N S T) I was in S....

Second school was split into boarding and day houses
    Southcome (my house - girls boarding)
    Jack Tigg (girls boarding)
    School (boys boarding)
    Channon (boys boarding)
    Laker (girls day)
    Ashurst (girls day)
    Fielding (boys day)
    Sibley (boys day)

Third was a girls boarding school split into junior day and boarding Lower Sixth House and Upper Sixth House - I think they were all founders of the school
    Maddock and Ffyler (boarding)
    Wilkins (boarding)
    Webbe (day)
    Wisdome (day)

Holmes (L6)
    Mitchell (U6)

Phew...so many houses
    Did you enjoy writing that?

I certainly didn't enjoy reading it.

ReputationRep:
    Walton, Wedgewood, Johnson, Garrick. All influential local families. The only ones I know about are wedgewood who are a local pottery company, and Garrick, which have a theatre named after them in the next town.

We were in forms in our houses, and almost everything we did at school counted towards house points. Not very many people cared though, except on sports day.

ReputationRep:
    no not really but i'm bored...it took a lot of effort to remember all of em...did have to look some up i can't believe all the lower fours (first years) when i was in the U4's have all left now...tis scary and means i've got old if you can think of anything better to do with my time let me know...i just wanna get to uni...so so bored now...

ReputationRep:
    ...i just wanna get to uni...so so bored now...
    Join the club. I decided that working would be less boring than just waiting, and earn me money, but now I hate my job too, I just want to GO!!!!!!! Still another six weeks for me though.

ReputationRep:
    no not really but i'm bored...it took a lot of effort to remember all of em...did have to look some up i can't believe all the lower fours (first years) when i was in the U4's have all left now...tis scary and means i've got old if you can think of anything better to do with my time let me know...i just wanna get to uni...so so bored now...
    The devil finds work for idle hands. <=== We're probably related.

Ask somebody else. Preferably someone who cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    Join the club. I decided that working would be less boring than just waiting, and earn me money, but now I hate my job too, I just want to GO!!!!!!! Still another six weeks for me though.
    i've got about that too...oct2nd...i quit my job due to the crapness of it...i've organised all my notes and my pc is also organised..weather is awful so nothing much to do....*cries in bordom*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    The devil finds work for idle hands. <=== We're probably related.

Ask somebody else. Preferably someone who cares.
    Sniff...not nice

ReputationRep:
    yes it does have one and they are all named after stately homes in derbyshire (chatsworth, haddon, hardwick (which i was in), sudbury and kedleston). they introduced this system in 1998, but i do know that they had used this in previous years, although based on famous people of good will i.e nightingale etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Grenfell
    Faraday
    Ruskin

In primary school

Rose
    Drake
    Chichester
    Cook

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! My school is an all boys' school and is pretty big so we have 8 houses. They are named after boys who went to the school and were killed during WWII. They are:
    Allen, Burnett, Burgess (my house - always lose ), Ford (always win the house cup! :mad: ), Lambdin, Ottery, Warrick and Woodland.

What do people think of houses? I think they're great and help to create a sense of community among the pupils. Every now and then throughout the year we have house games such as football, tennis, chess and loads more. The points from all of these and from the journal/reports throughout the year for everyone are added all together to see what house wins the yearly house cup! Ford have won for many consecutive years and the last time my house won was in the 80's I think!

I have had houses at all 3 of my schools (we have primary, middle and secondary schools in the Windsor area). In my primary school we had yellow (mine), green, blue and red, but I have learned that these have changed now to names of ducks! In my middle school we had Patrick (mine), David, Andrew and one that I can't remember!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I am Verites.
    There are 11 houses in total:

Saunderites
    Verites
    Gownboys
    Girdlestoneites
    Lockites
    Weekites
    Hodgsonites
    Daviesites
    Bodeites
    Pageites
    Robinites

All of them are named after their first housemasters. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    My old school had a house system. In the junior school they had;

Goblins[my house]
    Hobbits
    Wizards
    Dragons

The names are from the novel the Hobbit. The highschools house names are related to the founders of the highschool I believe.

Woolcombe
    Alexander[My house]
    Connaught
    New

I enjoyed all of the inter-house competitions.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that I'd seen this thread before.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh we had one - it was terrible too. The houses were named after local heros such as Wedgwood.

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe! It takes me back! Yeah my last school had houses.

North (mine)
    East
    West
    Surrey
    Montgomery (used to be south until monty became the school's patron)
    Churchill (Not after winston but a family tied to the school over the last 170 years)
    Halleton (the girls house)

It was so cool!

ReputationRep:
    Had four:
    Somerset (mine)
    Cornwall
    Stuart
    Langford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Does/did your school have a house system or not?
    What are/were your houses named after?

Our school introduced one this week. It was going to be named after famous female engineers (being an all-girls school applying for engineering school status), but there are comparatively few female engineers and even less famous ones, so that came a bit unstuck.

Then the year 9s and 10s were asked to submit the names of famous women, two per form. Unfortunately, their suggestions weren't exactly suitable. (Jordan house and Barbie house... Classy.)

Finally, the prefects decided to go for ancient Greek goddesses, which I think is quite good. They all have pretty names. I'm now in Persephone house.

Though I don't see why they've bothered with all this... They're just keeping the old form groups still.
    Austin, Bronte, Cavell, Davis, Elliot, Fry, Gaskell and Hepworth.

I was in Hepworth - we were **** and didn't win anything. Ever. And our colour was peach. PEACH! that isn't a colour - that's... well, it's just rubbish isn't it? I can't remeber any other colours but Red - that was Elliot. Only way I rememebr? it was plasterd all over the trophy cabinet all the time.

Elliot had all the sporty people and they won everything going, *******s.

Incase you didn't know, all those names are of famous women over history - mine was an all girls' school y'see

ReputationRep:
    i went to an all girls and our houses were named after famous women throughout history who had achieved something extra special!

boothroyd
    brookner
    roddick
    gunnel (grr i hate sally gunnel)
    glennie
    cooper

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.