The Student Room Group

C34 and D1/S2 Need advice for further math edexcel

Hi! Umm im just starting off edexcel A2. For my math course I have to decide whether I should do D1 or S2. I already have some tough units as Im doing further maths (fp2 fp3 and m3). Im done with S1 and all the M's are taken. I wanna score the best grades for my math course to help with uni as I am quite doubtful about my further math grades. Could you please tell me which one is more easier, S2 or D1? And do they have a dramatical difference in difiiculty like M2 and M1?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
D1 is ridiculously easy if you revise properly for it, it's just remembering things. However that means that you can drop a lot of UMS even if you only drop a few raw marks.

Haven't done S2 yet, but it looks nicer than M2. Which isn't saying much :wink:
D1's content is pretty simple to understand and implement, but tough to do well in exams. You have to handle a big set of data and narrow it down with perfect accuracy, as very few method marks are given over the course of six questions. This does also mean that provided you make no silly mistakes, it's relatively easy to get high marks.

When you drop marks in exams, is it more commonly method marks or accuracy marks? If it's the first one, you will ace D1, no problem.
Reply 3
Original post by loperdoper
D1's content is pretty simple to understand and implement, but tough to do well in exams. You have to handle a big set of data and narrow it down with perfect accuracy, as very few method marks are given over the course of six questions. This does also mean that provided you make no silly mistakes, it's relatively easy to get high marks.

When you drop marks in exams, is it more commonly method marks or accuracy marks? If it's the first one, you will ace D1, no problem.

I usually make silly mistakes, but do you know the level of difficulty in S2?
Original post by samakawg

No, sorry, I've only done D1 (and next year D2 and M1/2, so no statistics ever)

Personally I found S2 really quite easy - there isn't much content and a lot of the time very similar questions come up year after year. (It got to the point when I could finish papers within ~35 minutes.) D1 I found to be tedious and as a result harder to revise for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

S2 is the easiest A2 maths exam (Edexcel).

The paper looks almost exactly the same every year. If it helps, I got 100 on S2, but only 92 on D1.

Edexcel S2 is phenomenally easy. i self-taught it this year, literally spent bugger-all time on it and was able to get a mid-B. so with some actual effort you'll defo be able to get an A :smile:

i would reccommend doing S2 over D1 anyday. i found D1 to be extremely hard, a lot of algorithms-related stuff, and you can lose marks SO easily its untrue.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply