The Student Room Group

Choosing the right A-levels!

Hi all!

I'm extremely close to starting my first year at sixth form (I literally start 6 days from now!) and I'm still undecided as to the 4 A-levels I wish to take. After college/sixth-form I plan on studying an English course at university, and so far I've decided to take these A-levels:
- English literature
- Philosophy & Ethics
- Biology

I'm just not sure as to what I should take for the 4th one. I've put biology in there because initially I was planning on going down the science route, but I couldn't guarantee I'd achieve good A-levels with that route, and since English has always been my strong point, I thought 'why the hell not?' Anyway, I'm still dying to study biology at sixth form, but I'll probably just take it to AS level.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice/suggestions on what I should take as my other A-level?

Thanks again!! :smile:
Reply 1
If you're stuck and cannot really think of another A-Level to choose. I would go for maths since that it will open up many other routes if the "english" route doesn't work out.
Psychology is also another A-Level which you could think about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have to take 4? It's just that I know people who took 4 and they couldn't cope with the pressure and amount of work.. I did three and that was enough to send me crazy!
Hi Vsizzle

From your choices so far, I can work out that you are an all-rounder, so you can do both essay and science, if I was you I will be incline to look at something like Psychology, because it is an combination of sciences (predominately Biology) and essay writing.

If you don't mind me asking, how is your memory, because if you process an good memory then Psychology might be one to consider, as most part of Psychology exam involve pure recall from memory, so having good memory is very beneficial.

However I think the ultimate decision is down to you, because A-level is about doing subject you enjoy/passionate about, if you are not then finding the motivation to work hard is diffiuclt. ----Marvel

Quick Reply

Latest