The Student Room Group

Which subject should I choose? Please help! :L

Going to do AS-levels this year. Was pretty adamant on doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Computing; but a few people have told me to replace a subject, because there may be too much work... In the second year I'll probably drop Maths or Computing, depending on which I find easier or enjoy more. Biology and Chemistry are definite.

The school that I'm going to only offers a handful of courses... No matter what I'm doing, I'm going to put in 100%, but to be honest, I don't really want to stress myself out for a subject I'll drop in second year.

Here are the courses - Art, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Studies, Design Technology, Economics, English Literature, French, Geography, German, Government and Politics, History, I.C.T., Mathematics (and Further Mathematics), Music, Music Technology, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Spanish,

1) Which of these have you guys found relatively easy?
2) Which of these do you find enjoyable?
3) Which do you think I should drop - Maths or Computing? I haven't exactly got a particular passion for either.
The solution is not to replace a subject. Doing subjects you enjoy will get you better grades and feel like less work than doing one you enjoy less.

Besides, it's a myth that STEM A-Levels require more work, certainly compared to other traditional academic subjects (I have no experience of other subjects - my sixth-form didn't offer them).
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
The solution is not to replace a subject. Doing subjects you enjoy will get you better grades and feel like less work than doing one you enjoy less.

Besides, it's a myth that STEM A-Levels require more work, certainly compared to other traditional academic subjects (I have no experience of other subjects - my sixth-form didn't offer them).

Out of the list of subjects, I enjoy Chemistry and Biology the most. The rest are pretty much alien to me...
Original post by pretenderpos
Out of the list of subjects, I enjoy Chemistry and Biology the most. The rest are pretty much alien to me...

The point still stands that you're not going to drastically reduce your workload by taking a different subject, unless you happen to really struggle with Maths but find English easy, for example.
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
The point still stands that you're not going to drastically reduce your workload by taking a different subject, unless you happen to really struggle with Maths but find English easy, for example.

Okay, so you're saying that the amount of work is similar for each of those subjects.. I guess I'll stick to Maths and Computing and figure out if I like them...

Has anyone else got any advice?
My friend did Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology and I wouldn't say her workload was any more than mine when I did Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Health & Social Care. I don't think changing to a different subject will really decrease your workload by too much. Do what you enjoy/what you're interested in:biggrin:
Reply 6
Don't change your courses because someone else is trying to tell you it's too much. I'd probably consider foreign languages, and art, to be very time intensive courses, but everything else generally tends to be on par with each other. Swapping a subject won't make any difference to you, other than the fact you probably won't like it so much.

You can decide on the maths/computing dilemma in a year, although maths will likely be more use to you because i'd imagine you're going to go down a scientific route after (i.e. you'll need it for chemistry, not necessarily for biology but it's an added bonus over computing).
Yes I second the point that languages and art are more time-consuming than other subjects. It's a lot of progressive hard work throughout the whole year. But the pay-off is that come exam season, there isn't much revision to do as other subjects.

Just take the subjects that you're interested in. Perhaps take an essay subject if you want to go to university. Remember you drop one for A2 and you can normally change subject within the first few weeks of lessons, so if it doesn't work out, don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest