Short and Long Term Memory

Watch
User1549127
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What do you think is the best way to remember things and how often do you need to go over it to keep it in your long term memory?
Mav455
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Long term memory, the website Memrise is great and using a method to commit things to your Long term memory. It basically reminds you to learn something and go over it every few hours
User1549127
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mav455)
Long term memory, the website Memrise is great and using a method to commit things to your Long term memory. It basically reminds you to learn something and go over it every few hours
I have tried it but I can't find what I wanted
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My 7 year old son has good long term memory but very poor short term memory. He has been working with an educational psychologist at school who has confirmed that his short term memory is very poor. He suggested activities that we try with him such as repetitive chanting and swaying with him whilst learning things such as times tables etc. Anything that turns it into a song or a rhythm so that it can end up going into long term memory recall.

It's hard though, very hard. My poor lad struggles a fair bit. If you give him a series of instructions (e.g. "go upstairs and fetch the hairbrush from the bathroom window sill"), he'll get as far as going upstairs before then having to shout down again to ask which room he's meant to be heading for, and what he's supposed to be fetching.

Good luck with it all. I hope you find a good method to help you cope.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (106)
40.61%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
7.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (59)
22.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (31)
11.88%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.51%

Watched Threads