The Student Room Group

Helllppp please

Dear all,

Need some career advice

I am a 20 year old finding his way in the world, both in my career in life and as a whole.

I am about to enter my final year at kings College London studying theology, and have currently attained a high 2:2, leaving no guarantee atol that I would manage to secure a 2:1 in my final honors.

However I believe I have already shown a strong capability for journalism, reflected by building a reputable football podcast (Out Of The League) from nothing. This was also evidenced by combining my passions for sports, religion and ethics into a award-winning show on student radio examining the latest stories concerning the behavior of our sports stars, on and off the field.

I have had successful work experience stints at the Cambridge Evening News and The Daily telegraph from which I have improved my journalistic skills greatly. These have covered issues as diverse as how to write an engaging article/match report to having the opportunity of reporting live at events Moreover I have worked voluntarily covering live football reporting for Cambridge United in the last two years, including commentary services for the blind and partially sighted.

I have a huge passion for teaching as well , and has extensive experience both coaching sport and teaching my a-level subjects inside the classroom, as well as empowering kids through educating them as part of a charity.

However now I enter my final year I have to start looking towards the future, so my main questions are thus:

any idea for postgrad journalism courses in London- I had looked at st marys for sports journalism and city of London for broadcast journalism, are there any others you could suggest/ comment on the merit of those I have suggested?
Any general career advice for someone at my point regarding what to do?

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you,

Michael
Lots of info from the NCTJ here : http://www.nctj.com/want-to-be-a-journalist

Just remember, there is no automatic funding at postgrad level like SF. There are a few bursaries but these are as rare as hen's teeth, and usually won't cover the entire cost of the course, and you won't even be considered with a 2.2. Without this you will have to work out how you are going to pay both fees and maintenance yourself.
Reply 2
THE FEES ARE FINE, had a business when I was 18 that was very successful so that is not an issue.
Reply 3
Brunel has an accredited journalism course with a very good reputation.

Several people in my year with a 2.2 or a third have been teaching for some years. I know teaching has got more difficult to get into lately, but you shouldn't have a problem with your degree class if that's what you want to do.

I spent 3 years doing charity work before working for 4 years at a university, and I'm about to return to my MSc subject to do a PhD. Don't feel you have to go straight into your chosen career from university - employers often value diversity and life experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending