The Student Room Group

HELP! Science and English?

Hi, I urgently need help deciding my AS choices.
I'm thinking about Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature and maybe theatre studies, we also HAVE to do general studies at my school.
I received all As for GCSE and haven't decided what I'd like to do in the future (but I know it won't be medicine so I'm not particularly worried about having not taken maths) therefore I would like to keep my options open by taking a split of subjects. Is this a silly thing to do? In the future I'm thinking either biochemistry, an english degree or possibly acting however I'm hoping I can continue to do this out of school in youth theatres.

Would my results suffer if I chose biology chemistry and both english's at a level? Has anyone else done a mix of both arts and science and if so how's it going for you?
I work hard and go to a good school so I think even though I'll find the jump massive and struggle at first, I will get into the swing of things however I'm worried about universities viewing my options as inadequate.
Thanks for listening to me ramble on and I would so so so appreciate it if you could help me, thanks :smile:
Original post by teainamug
Hi, I urgently need help deciding my AS choices.
I'm thinking about Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature and maybe theatre studies, we also HAVE to do general studies at my school.
I received all As for GCSE and haven't decided what I'd like to do in the future (but I know it won't be medicine so I'm not particularly worried about having not taken maths) therefore I would like to keep my options open by taking a split of subjects. Is this a silly thing to do? In the future I'm thinking either biochemistry, an english degree or possibly acting however I'm hoping I can continue to do this out of school in youth theatres.

Would my results suffer if I chose biology chemistry and both english's at a level? Has anyone else done a mix of both arts and science and if so how's it going for you?
I work hard and go to a good school so I think even though I'll find the jump massive and struggle at first, I will get into the swing of things however I'm worried about universities viewing my options as inadequate.
Thanks for listening to me ramble on and I would so so so appreciate it if you could help me, thanks :smile:

Hey there, I did the exact same thing by taking biology, chemistry, history, and english literature and although I ended up hating chemistry, I personally found it to be a good idea. Not only does it keep your options open, it's nice to have a mixture to allow you to explore different areas. I loved doing both so much I'm now doing a degree in biology and history! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took Biology, Chemistry and English Lit at A Level with an AS Level in Geology. I was very happy with my A Level choices, and knew a few others with similar combinations. I can't see how the combination you're thinking of would affect your results. I would look into university entry requirements for biochemistry and check that you don't need maths though. Have you considered taking combined English Lang and Lit then you would free up an option to do something else if you wanted?
Reply 3
Reply 4
I'm not sure that my school does combined english's but I'll check because that sounds like a great idea actually :smile: thank you so much you've helped a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You don't have to have take maths at A level to become a doctor, only chemistry (some also ask for Biology). I take Chemistry, Biology, English Language and Psychology and everything is open to me (apart from engineering courses etc. which require maths).

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't take Psychology though, it's SH#T!

Quick Reply

Latest