Dust94
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just interested in what you think is the more important one (if one is more important) And, just in case, I don't mean think of a university's prestige/reputation as a deciding factor.

I'm confused between them. If you go for the course being more important but if you're unhappy in the place/don't like it, then it's fair to say you won't feel too good, but if you choose a place and dislike the course, you may feel happier for being in the place you wanted but the (somewhat similar but different enough for there to be a difference, if that makes sense) course might make you miserable?

Thoughts?
nicole.elkins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dust94)
Just interested in what you think is the more important one (if one is more important) And, just in case, I don't mean think of a university's prestige/reputation as a deciding factor.

I'm confused between them. If you go for the course being more important but if you're unhappy in the place/don't like it, then it's fair to say you won't feel too good, but if you choose a place and dislike the course, you may feel happier for being in the place you wanted but the (somewhat similar but different enough for there to be a difference, if that makes sense) course might make you miserable?

Thoughts?
For me, I think you can like the place only if you like the course. Like oh that's a nice library but if you know you'll be cramming for a test you just absolutely hate, then I think it dampens the whole thing.

Similarly, what would've been my second choice university was offering a better course than my final insurance choice. But because I preferred the atmosphere of what became my final insurance choice, I chose that instead. Also because of the grades they asked for but that's unrelated I suppose...

Posted from TSR Mobile
bumblebee342
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dust94)

Thoughts?
I think they're both important.
You don't want to be doing a course you don't like just because you like the place. However, a big part of me being happy at uni is that I love the place (as well as being happy with my course). If I hated where I was living and going to uni, I know it would have a negative impact on my attitude and whatever.

I would recommend considering both, I think it's important to be happy with your course and where you are
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
University of London.

London is the best place to be as a student. The University of London is a good brand to have behind you.

LSE, UCL, SOAS, Birkbeck, King's College, Queen Mary.. so many courses to choose from..
nicole.elkins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bumblebee342)
I think they're both important.
You don't want to be doing a course you don't like just because you like the place. However, a big part of me being happy at uni is that I love the place (as well as being happy with my course). If I hated where I was living and going to uni, I know it would have a negative impact on my attitude and whatever.

I would recommend considering both, I think it's important to be happy with your course and where you are
:ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile
laridum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Course, definitely. I'm not sure I would be able to deal with London (although I do love it) or university level work if I hated the course!
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really think both are important people always say go for the course while that is important you won't be happy unless you like the place.

You often hear about people who haven't setelled at uni and I am sure it's because they don't like the place I didn't settle in Portsmouth because I wasn't too keen on the place I moved to Southampton where I love and had a great time.

So while you need to do a course you like make sure you like the place too or it just won't work for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlueSheep32
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think they're both important when choosing a uni. I liked the look of the course at most of the unis I visited, but the only one where both the course & the location just felt 'right' was Birmingham. For example, I loved the course at Sheffield, but hated the city centre location, whereas at Newcastle I loved the city but wasn't keen on the course. It's always worth going to open days (before and after you've applied) to get a proper feel for a university because you can generally tell if you're going to like living in the place from that.

However I think the course is a bit more important, as once you get into the later stages of your degree it's going to be hard wherever you end up, and if you don't like it then you'll really struggle to motivate yourself to work hard and the main reason you're there is to get a good degree, not to live somewhere you like. And to me it's the people you meet rather than the location of the uni that help to shape your uni experience in the non-academic side of things.

Try not to choose a place you don't like to do a course that you like, but similarly don't choose a course you don't like the look of because you like the place.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a case of finding the right balance, which given the number of unis out there is usually possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (664)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.58%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.39%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads