Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3653663.stm

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried, I would not have even been able to get my part time job (as a web developer) without my degree and I am still a year away from graduation.

ReputationRep:
    "It is also about personal development and intellectual curiosity. And let's not forget it can also be fun. " tbh im not going for the job prospects, im going beucase it'll b three/four great years and i'll really get to grips with academic stuff that i really enjoy

and just becuase u dont go in2 a graduate job doesnt mean the degree isnt worth having. being an officer in the army doesnt require a degree but those with a degree get promoted quicker, get better postings, given more responsibility, and get paid better/

ReputationRep:
    BA David Beckham studies >> No
    BSC ECON/SCI/MATHS/ETC ETC ETC >> Yes

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want to go on and do I guess. If a degree is a pre-requisit, then yes! If not, then I probably wouldn't do it!

My friends who left school after A-Levels are all in well paid jobs and have infinitely more money than I do, nice cars, massive houses, kids - shudder !

ReputationRep:
    Not all ppl go to uni just cos they want well-paid jobs in the future. Indeed, if job-hunting is your only purpose, then you might not need higher education at all. Its not about how much you earn... most of the time its about how you are viewed by society... it is inevitable that ppl respect those with degrees more than those w/o/ degrees. they dont really care how much they earn. The society still sets a greater value on the academic career of an individual than on his real ability...overemphasis of educational qualifications will always prevail in this superficial world... so go to a good uni if u dont want to be laughed at, study what u want... job is another strory...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_sweet_surrey)
    Not all ppl go to uni just cos they want well-paid jobs in the future. Indeed, if job-hunting is your only purpose, then you might not need higher education at all. Its not about how much you earn... most of the time its about how you are viewed by society... it is inevitable that ppl respect those with degrees more than those w/o/ degrees. they dont really care how much they earn. The society still sets a greater value on the academic career of an individual than on his real ability...overemphasis of educational qualifications will always prevail in this superficial world... so go to a good uni if u dont want to be laughed at, study what u want... job is another strory...
    Am I laughed at then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudnet)
    Am I laughed at then?
    No. You go to uni, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavo)
    BA David Beckham studies >> No
    BSC ECON/SCI/MATHS/ETC ETC ETC >> Yes
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    No. You go to uni, don't you?
    don't come all the way over from Japan dictating what you think is a good uni and what is a bad uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYa6)
    don't come all the way over from Japan dictating what you think is a good uni and what is a bad uni
    I've done enough research on UK-unis, so I'm pretty sure I know as much about them as you people do. And just because my current location is "Japan", u shouldnt immediately think I'm an ignoant Japanese lass who's spent all her life in Far East isolated from the rest of the world. I'm not Japanese, I've been to many other countries, and I'm more sophisticated than most people, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I've done enough research on UK-unis, so I'm pretty sure I know as much about them as you people do. And just because my current location is "Japan", u shouldnt immediately think I'm an ignoant Japanese lass who's spent all her life in Far East isolated from the rest of the world. I'm not Japanese, I've been to many other countries, and I'm more sophisticated than most people, I believe.

"so go to a good uni if u dont want to be laughed at" <==

ReputationRep:
    "so go to a good uni if u dont want to be laughed at" <==
    isn't that true though? especially for the snobs in England?

ReputationRep:
    isn't that true though? especially for the snobs in England?
    lol no

ReputationRep:
    lol no
    really, cool, so all the snobs I have met on this UKL so far have suddenly disappeared?

ReputationRep:
    really, cool, so all the snobs I have met on this UKL so far have suddenly disappeared?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    how convenient. i think the whole UKL is taking the mick outa me, first they hurt my feelings with all their prejudices, and now they all suddenly shut up, making me the one who is snobbish and devilish. quite smart and foxy. I'm impressed.

ReputationRep:
    how convenient. i think the whole UKL is taking the mick outa me, first they hurt my feelings with all their prejudices, and now they all suddenly shut up, making me the one who is snobbish and devilish. quite smart and foxy. I'm impressed.
    cool

ReputationRep:
    oh_sweet_surrey:

UKL isn't really a good representation of English students.. so all this 'research' you have done on our universities is based off here I take it? People on UKL tend to turn their nose up at non-Russell Group universities (I take it you know what these are, being an expert and all) whilst in the real world, this doesn't happen. *******s you're sophisticated - anyone that read drivel on the internet, and takes it literally just isn't.

ReputationRep:
    You have a very warped view of our society. I don't think education qualifications prevail in the superficial world otherwise people with the best degrees/post grad qualifications would always get the best jobs because they would be regarded as superior. And yet academics get paid piddly amounts and someone like Richard Branson who has no degree, but is a very good businessman gets paid loads and is still respected even though he is degree-less. In the superficial world, what prevails is your contacts, and how well you speak/come across. Sure a degree looks good, but say a career in the army or owning a chain of superstores also looks good.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.