jjbb93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello there, I'm about to start my third year on an accounting & finance bachelor's degree. I will look to start applying for banking graduate schemes i.e. analyst positions. I want to know how to best prepare myself to answer questions on the application forms and mainly, how to gather a comprehensive understanding of the banking industry in order to succeed in interviews and secure the much-craved-for IB job. TBH, I haven't really learned much about banking on my course nor have i learned anything during my 2 summer internships at big4s. Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated. If this thread could turn into a general discussion for 2015 IB graduate schemes applications, then even better so. Thank you!
WSL
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You say you haven't learned much about banking. Do you mind me asking what your motivation is for applying to IB in that case? You will struggle to prepare for the application process without first having at least some idea of what it is, and why you therefore want to break into the industry. Try browsing the Internet (Mergers & Inquisitions is a good place to start), read banker interviews, and start off by deciding whether you genuinely feel IB is for you. Interviewers will be able to pick up on the "wrong" motives for applying, and if you really don't know anything about IB (as suggested by your post), then that might be an issue for you. Good luck!

Useful resources:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259237

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Adding from the above:

I'd suggest you start researching the various business lines banks provide (Markets/IBD/Research). Know what field you're interested in and dedicate some time into further researching the technicals of what that business does. Start reviewing some of the interview questions so you don't go into any (potential interviews) unprepared as they're difficult to obtain in themselves. Come up with a story as to why you want to enter the profession, start networking, go to career events (I'm sure some banks do milk rounds at York) and start preparing yourself for the application process.

There are many different roles that banks provide and F/O is not the be-all and end-all. Someone with an accounting degree (if it's something you enjoy) may be interested in M/O - Finance/Internal audit (however the pay difference is considerably noticeable). So I would research thoroughly on where it is you would like to work as sacrifices may need to be made.

All the best.
Szmessh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol at the above. perhaps he/she should get an interview in the first place.

- accounting & finance bachelor's degree at the University of York
- I haven't really learned much about banking on my course nor have i learned anything during my 2 summer internships at big4s

I'm not sure if you understand who you are competing with for these extremely limited FO grad places. Sry to be harsh but your chances for FO BB is negligible as of this moment. Do a masters, network like hell or it won't happen (not at the large firms).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (298)
60.45%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.87%
No- I want it (135)
27.38%
No- I don't want it (36)
7.3%

Watched Threads