The Student Room Group

Do Law firms really look at A-Levels?

I'm not planning on applying to any Magic Circle Law firms or even the top top city firms, but I am looking to go somewhere well-respected etc.
I got ABC for my A-Levels (which I didn't think I deserved, and wanted to get a remark but 1. no point because I got into uni & 2. it's too expensive for me.
So would Law firms still look at me providing I do really well at Uni?
Reply 1
Original post by einnap101
I'm not planning on applying to any Magic Circle Law firms or even the top top city firms, but I am looking to go somewhere well-respected etc.
I got ABC for my A-Levels (which I didn't think I deserved, and wanted to get a remark but 1. no point because I got into uni & 2. it's too expensive for me.

I would imagine they use it as a filtering process because the placements are so competitive. They look for consistent good results throughout your education, I guess to show that you haven't just worked hard for the final year of law school and haven't really bothered otherwise. Just try your hardest to do well in your degree and hopefully that'll add weight to your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, many firms do. In reality they don't care about A levels; they care about keeping numbers of applicants down to manageable proportions. If you say, as most firms do; a 1st or 2:1 in any subject from any university, that is an awful lot of potential applicants, particularly when applications are being submitted online.
Reply 3
Sn
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes, many firms do. In reality they don't care about A levels; they care about keeping numbers of applicants down to manageable proportions. If you say, as most firms do; a 1st or 2:1 in any subject from any university, that is an awful lot of potential applicants, particularly when applications are being submitted online.

So my grades are **** and I have no chance basically? Haha well I won't give up, I have contacts too so should give me some help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So my grades are **** and I have no chance basically? Haha well I won't give up, I have contacts too so should give me some help!

You do not have no chance. You have a reduced chance because some opportunities will not be open to you.
They have an automatic filtration system of about 340 UCAS points which is generally an AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good.
Original post by Old_Simon
Oh good.

The real world.
Reply 9
I often look at legal jobs despite having not graduated yet just to see career opportunities for when I do graduate. Most top firms require minimum UCAS points, these UCAS points are usually what you had to obtain to get in to university unless you entered a different way (access course etc)

I did a foundation year as I just had AS levels but in year one I sat my A levels as a private candidate in the same subjects as I got my AS levels in.

You still have a lot of career prospects in the UK and abroad. Small firms probably will not mind too much on A level results or if you have them as long as you have a 2:1 or above. If you are concerned then it would be a good idea to possibly volunteer in law firms or try to get a part time job, that way you build up experience which works massively in your favor. Also if you are really concerned it may be a good idea to contact various law firms that interest you for career opportunities and asking them of their requirements. Some may accept a degree with no A levels and others you may find are very strict, then you will know where you stand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending