The Student Room Group

How do I get a retail job at Heathrow Airport?

I live quite a way away from Heathrow, like over 1 hour travel time, so is it really worth me applying to work somewhere like in a Starbucks at Terminal 2, for example?

Do I need to register with local agencies like Reed in the area, or is there a special Heathrow jobs website that everyone can apply to?

I want to move into London, or nearer to Heathrow but can only find a flat once I have a job...
Reply 1
Retail jobs are generally in high demand. Probably the best way to get a job in a Heathrow shop would be to know someone who already works there, but I'm guessing that's not an option. I guess you won't lose anything by sending off some applications, checking various websites (of both the shops themselves and agencies ideally) and so on.

Be aware though that if you want to work air side, you'll need to go through a very long and arduous process in order to get a pass. This will take several weeks at the least. Obviously, you must have a valid passport as well. All of this is bound to complicate any applications you make for the employer so be aware of that if you see any openings advertised.
Original post by Dez
Retail jobs are generally in high demand. Probably the best way to get a job in a Heathrow shop would be to know someone who already works there, but I'm guessing that's not an option. I guess you won't lose anything by sending off some applications, checking various websites (of both the shops themselves and agencies ideally) and so on.

Be aware though that if you want to work air side, you'll need to go through a very long and arduous process in order to get a pass. This will take several weeks at the least. Obviously, you must have a valid passport as well. All of this is bound to complicate any applications you make for the employer so be aware of that if you see any openings advertised.

I heard that I need 5 years checkable work history to work in an airport? Well, I resigned from my job a few months ago due to bullying, and have been laying low ever since recuperating from PTSD, so strictly speaking does this ruin my chances as it is "an unexplainable" gap?
Reply 3
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I heard that I need 5 years checkable work history to work in an airport? Well, I resigned from my job a few months ago due to bullying, and have been laying low ever since recuperating from PTSD, so strictly speaking does this ruin my chances as it is "an unexplainable" gap?

I'm not familiar with the exact checks they do for an air-side pass. I've worked in Gatwick before, but that was on a short-time basis so I only needed a temporary pass. It's definitely a faff, though. It will almost certainly be easier to look for jobs on the land-side of the airport instead. Heathrow's so big that most of the shops have branches on both sides. so you could always start working at one and then you may later get transferred to the other.
Reply 4
Theres something called Heathrow retail academy that specifically cater to retail jobs in Heathrow! Its a one week training course you have to attend then they hook you up with interviews for retail in Heathrow, provided that there are any vacancies available at that time, the training is near Heathrow airport in bath road.

Another way of finding retail opportunities at Heathrow is searching a load of websites of shops that are in Heathrow and apply online if they have any vacancies you want, like Starbucks they have loads of food places such as Pret, cafe Nero, they also have boots , world duty free, wh smith and plenty of other places you can easily obtain work.

In terms of the 5 year record check, get a friend, not family and relatives, you can also get a neighbour or someone who knows you very well for your personal reference for the gap, state what you were doing in that gap, you can always put down 'searching for a job' if you don't what to state what you mentioned. Also best of luck!

Heathrow airport is an amazing place to work and you'll meet so many new people.
I live quite a way away from Heathrow, like over 1 hour travel time, so is it really worth me applying to work somewhere like in a Starbucks at Terminal 2, for example?

Do I need to register with local agencies like Reed in the area, or is there a special Heathrow jobs website that everyone can apply to?

I want to move into London, or nearer to Heathrow but can only find a flat once I have a job...

Have you ever watched Come Fly With Me (2010 series, BBC)? That should give you a good indication of things.
Original post by Ifs
Theres something called Heathrow retail academy that specifically cater to retail jobs in Heathrow! Its a one week training course you have to attend then they hook you up with interviews for retail in Heathrow, provided that there are any vacancies available at that time, the training is near Heathrow airport in bath road.

Another way of finding retail opportunities at Heathrow is searching a load of websites of shops that are in Heathrow and apply online if they have any vacancies you want, like Starbucks they have loads of food places such as Pret, cafe Nero, they also have boots , world duty free, wh smith and plenty of other places you can easily obtain work.

In terms of the 5 year record check, get a friend, not family and relatives, you can also get a neighbour or someone who knows you very well for your personal reference for the gap, state what you were doing in that gap, you can always put down 'searching for a job' if you don't what to state what you mentioned. Also best of luck!

Heathrow airport is an amazing place to work and you'll meet so many new people.

thanks for the advice, but I am not sure I want to do a course, I am not a people person ATM.
Reply 7
thanks for the advice, but I am not sure I want to do a course, I am not a people person ATM.

If you're not a peoples person then you might struggle with Heathrow cos its so hectic, there's a lot of customers and you're going to be working with a lot of people! But if you're trying to work on your social skills then maybe it's actually a good idea, the course too. There's a lot of people in one session but by day 2 or 3 you'd of gotten used to or met a few of them. Plus its only a week if i may say.

Aside from the course you can search on websites like reed, indeed, jobsite, monsters etc and write 'retail' and 'Heathrow' in the search options, a lot must come up cos they're always hiring at Heathrow airport, as if 70000 employees isn't enough.

Also for the course if your cv is bland its a great addition, i done the aviation one and it got me into an interview with British airways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending