Confused about my AQA AS Mathematics module grades.

Watch
danny2997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know it seems I'm a little late making this post but I have been busy at a computing placement. On results day I received an overall grade D with the following module grades:
Core 1 - E
Core 2 - B
Statistics - D

The issue I have here is that in the lead up to the exams I was consistently getting an A or a high B in practice exams for all 3 units and yet I have received these results and it just doesn't make sense to me at all. I should also mention that after taking the exams, I felt very confident that I would have received a good grade in Core 1 and Statistics and that I'd failed Core 2 and yet Core 2 was my best grade and is surprisingly high.

I accept that Core 2 appeared to be a universally difficult paper by the low grade boundaries but this much difference between what I expected and what I got confuses me.

Could anyone give me some tips to what might have gone wrong and how to move forward? I plan to retake Core 1 and Statistics alongside my A2 exams and don't want this to happen again.
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I mean you could try get a clerical remark to ensure that they actually marked the entire paper for one of your exams if you felt you did really well in it. No harm in trying if you felt confident.

I retook c1 and c2 in a2 - personally you really dont need to revise c1 right now. I spent maybe 2 days going through past questions in March and left the rest of the revision till the exam season - I spent maybe 2 days before the exam doing crap loads of Solomon papers/questions - Harder exam questions which will raise your confidence and skill as you go through them.

S1 im sure you could do very progressively. Perhaps do 1 topic every fortnight and make a sort of question booklet whereby you have the question at the top and workings below - just so you dont totally forget.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by danny2997)
I know it seems I'm a little late making this post but I have been busy at a computing placement. On results day I received an overall grade D with the following module grades:
Core 1 - E
Core 2 - B
Statistics - D

The issue I have here is that in the lead up to the exams I was consistently getting an A or a high B in practice exams for all 3 units and yet I have received these results and it just doesn't make sense to me at all. I should also mention that after taking the exams, I felt very confident that I would have received a good grade in Core 1 and Statistics and that I'd failed Core 2 and yet Core 2 was my best grade and is surprisingly high.

I accept that Core 2 appeared to be a universally difficult paper by the low grade boundaries but this much difference between what I expected and what I got confuses me.

Could anyone give me some tips to what might have gone wrong and how to move forward? I plan to retake Core 1 and Statistics alongside my A2 exams and don't want this to happen again.
that's a shame exams can be weird like that if you think you've failed you might do well and same for if you think you did well you might have failed...

my tips would be to just learn and understand the maths content you are covering, being a machine that can churn out answers is not good. You need to know why you are churning out your answer and what it's doing.

That is so important in maths and it really does help to understand every step that is happening rather than just going with patterns you're seeing. It especially helps when answering the papers hard questions because if you have a good understanding then you will get the question even if you havent seen one in that format or style before.

Good luck on re-doing those exams you are pretty lucky you don't need to resit core 2 because as you know it is generally considered the hardest, so if you buckle down you will do fine in stats and core 1. Plus you will have been doing core 3 and 4 which are way harder so it will make core 1 look easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads