The Student Room Group

Can a 16 y/o enrol to a Direct Debit?

My gym has two membership;

1 yr DD at £18/m and Cancel any time £22/m.

I signed up for the £22/m and they've been taking the monthly payment from my bank until I decide to stop.

I recently decided to stop it and they said I should give them A MONTHS NOTICE

When I signed for the gym, I WASNT TOLD ABOUT THE MONTH NOTICE.

Also, I'm 16 y/o, legally, are they meant to take this monthly payment from me?

Can I just call my bank and ask to stop now. I'm not waiting for the month notice as they'll take another £22

Help?
Posted from TSR Mobile

You must have agreed to terms and conditions when you joined and set up the DD so there's nothing you can do but pay the £22 and ensure you read things properly.
Reply 2
oky
OP
Original post by Shorty94
Posted from TSR Mobile

You must have agreed to terms and conditions when you joined and set up the DD so there's nothing you can do but pay the £22 and ensure you read things properly.

Yeah but are they allowed to take a dd from a 16 y/o?
Reply 4
Original post by oky
My gym has two membership;

1 yr DD at £18/m and Cancel any time £22/m.

I signed up for the £22/m and they've been taking the monthly payment from my bank until I decide to stop.

I recently decided to stop it and they said I should give them A MONTHS NOTICE

When I signed for the gym, I WASNT TOLD ABOUT THE MONTH NOTICE.

Also, I'm 16 y/o, legally, are they meant to take this monthly payment from me?

Can I just call my bank and ask to stop now. I'm not waiting for the month notice as they'll take another £22

Help?

Unfortunately it'll be in the T&Cs somewhere. Unless you have proof that it doesn't state that there's nothing you can do.

I got a direct debit from the age of 15 so yes legally they can
Reply 5
oky
OP
Original post by AdamCee
Unfortunately it'll be in the T&Cs somewhere. Unless you have proof that it doesn't state that there's nothing you can do.

I got a direct debit from the age of 15 so yes legally they can

If I call my bank to void the next upcoming and final payment, would they be able?

Also, when I signed up for the direct debit, they didn't even ask for my passport, or proof of bank!!!
Reply 6
Original post by oky
If I call my bank to void the next upcoming and final payment, would they be able?

Also, when I signed up for the direct debit, they didn't even ask for my passport, or proof of bank!!!

I seriously doubt it, otherwise what's to stop people doing that all the time.

As far as I know they don't need any of that proof. As long as they have the details you're good to go.

As I said, unless you can find a copy of the T&C from when you signed up, read it and if it does NOT say anywhere that a months notification is needed for cancellation, then yeah I believe you have full rights to say that that is unfair. However I'm 99% sure it will say unfortunately and you can do nothing if it does :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending