The Student Room Group

Best Leonardo DiCaprio film?

What do you think is the best film that Leo was in?

For me, The Basketball Diaries hands down. Its far too underrated :frown:

If you haven't seen it, Youtube the "I'll be a good boy scene" and you'll see what I mean. The depth of his acting there just amazes me.

Scroll to see replies

Haven't seen all his films, but of those I have seen, I'd say The Great Gatsby. I don't think this was his best performance out of all the films he's been in, but overall I think it was the best film and a personal favourite of mine. Excellent cinematography and soundtrack as well as great performances from the actors. Stayed true to the book as well, which I liked.
Reply 2
He was amazing in Shutter Island and Django Unchained... He nails down most of his roles anyway :grin:
Shutter Island. His performance as Teddy was amazing, but he was also good in The Great Gatsby and that film where he played Hoover.
I really like Catch Me If You Can
Reply 5
For me it's a toss up between What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Django Unchained.
Original post by OohBurn
He was amazing in Shutter Island and Django Unchained... He nails down most of his roles anyway :grin:

Aye, he was but I predicted that he was the patient himself & I hate it when I can predict films! But I can't fault his performance in Shutter Island at all, or any of his other films :tongue:
Original post by mollyxrose
I really like Catch Me If You Can

Original post by H0ls
For me it's a toss up between What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Django Unchained.

I've watched Catch Me If You Can too many times! Great film :smile:

And wow, yes What's Eating Gilbert Grape isn't far behind in my list! His performance = pure class.

Just wish he had more screen time in Django Unchained!
Why has no one mentioned Titanic? :curious:
(edited 9 years ago)
Shutter island. Saw it when it came out and watched it again on Netflix.. It's that good.
What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Basketball Diaries or The Aviator for his acting skills. He has been in a fair few other films that were really good but his acting wasn't particularly great. Examples: The Departed and Inception.
Original post by happysmile
Why has no one mentioned Titanic?

You have! :wink: Its a beautiful film & I've watched it so many times but for me, it's not the best of his films.
Gangs of new york
Obviously Inception.
Original post by Quantex
What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Basketball Diaries or The Aviator for his acting skills. He has been in a fair few other films that were really good but his acting wasn't particularly great. Examples: The Departed and Inception.

The Aviator was a bit boring, same with The Departed. But, Inception was perfect! Although I think it was the soundtrack I liked more than the film :banana2:

Hans Zimmer, my man
Reply 15
Romeo + Juliet, even if the last half hour is just Claire Danes pulling faces.
The Beach or Romeo and Juliet. Although of course he is just great in them all.
Probably Django but I wouldn't call that a Leo film. Close between Inception and Titanic. WOWS is up there too.
Romeo & Juliet.
Reply 19
Original post by aftermuchdeli
I've watched Catch Me If You Can too many times! Great film :smile:

And wow, yes What's Eating Gilbert Grape isn't far behind in my list! His performance = pure class.

Just wish he had more screen time in Django Unchained!

I definitely think WEGG is his best performance. He literally nails the behaviour and mannerisms of a disabled child without appearing over the top or adding comedy factor.

I think Django had a very strong cast so his performance perhaps doesn't get the recognition it deserves. A lot of his other films have weak supporting casts.

Quick Reply

Latest