The Student Room Group

Independent Status Query

Hi, i am currently going into my third year of my uni course when a friend mentioned about being classed as an independent student due to working for over 3 years and being able to provide evidence that i have been supporting myself for over 3 years (i.e. my p60's from work).

I would be grateful of any information anyone has on this to help me. I have sent of a letter to claim to be eligible as an independent student as well as photocopies of all my p60's from work showing my earnings after being told to do so by a Student Finance England adviser on the phone.

However, i'm now worrying whether it matters that i have claimed for the wrong student finance for the first two years of my course and whether this matters.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there.

You can claim independence at any point throughout your studies, it does not need to be in the first year.

For example; one criteria to be classed as independent is where a student is 25 at the start of that particular year of their course. A student may begin a course at 24 but be 25 in second year, so they would be classed as independent from year 2 on-wards.

As long as you can demonstrated you have been working for at least 3 years (which don't need to be consecutive) earning around 7500 pounds each year then you would meet the criteria.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending