The Student Room Group

Can I get into the university of say Cambridge with these subject choices?

History
English Lit
Psychology
Sociology
Critical thinking (compulsory)

And an As level in RS (grade B)

And say if I dont like History or English Lit for example if I dropped English Lit next year and did History, Psyc and Sociology are those really weak subjects?
Or if I decide in year 12 I'll do RS in year 13 is that possible even though if I do decide that by then I wouldnt have done RS for 2 years?
Original post by Tj789
History
English Lit
Psychology
Sociology
Critical thinking (compulsory)

And an As level in RS (grade B)

And say if I dont like History or English Lit for example if I dropped English Lit next year and did History, Psyc and Sociology are those really weak subjects?
Or if I decide in year 12 I'll do RS in year 13 is that possible even though if I do decide that by then I wouldnt have done RS for 2 years?

Cambridge take UMS into account; you need an average of 93% across all of your subjects at AS, I believe. So you need to aim to get as close to 100% as possible, to stand a chance. I study Economics at University, so I wouldn't know too much about your subjects apart from Psychology; let me tell you, it's no walk in the park.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Cambridge take UMS into account; you need an average of 93% across all of your subjects at AS, I believe. So you need to aim to get as close to 100% as possible, to stand a chance. I study Economics at University, so I wouldn't know too much about your subjects apart from Psychology; let me tell you, it's no walk in the park.

Be careful, it isn't a necessary requirement - it was the average UMS % per successful applicant recently. People with 89% across their AS results were still offered places, and some with 96% were not.
Reply 3
Original post by Dylann
Be careful, it isn't a necessary requirement - it was the average UMS % per successful applicant recently. People with 89% across their AS results were still offered places, and some with 96% were not.

Please can you answer my question?? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Tj789
Please can you answer my question?? :smile:

Sociology is generally a weak subject. You might have to keep all four at A2. Perform well in your others too. Get a high AS UMS average and you might be in for a shot.

Best of luck
Tbh that's not the strongest subject combination you could have. Just make sure you keep the two 'facilitating' subjects, whatever happens!

What subject are you hoping to read?
Reply 7
I'd strongly recommend you change at least one (and preferably both) of psychology and sociology to a more traditional subject, and I have a feeling that critical thinking isn't recognized at all by Cambridge. But check that last part.
Reply 8
One yearmate of mine had a similar subjects to yours: For A2 he did Psychology, History and English Lit and got his offer for English :wink: - Did an AS in Maths i think.

Really depends on what you want to do but if you get good grades, then definitely go for it i would say. Its only 1 choice anyways.
Reply 9
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Tbh that's not the strongest subject combination you could have. Just make sure you keep the two 'facilitating' subjects, whatever happens!

What subject are you hoping to read?

I want to hopefully take on History and English Lit to A2 (doubt it though) but I have a B in RS do you think I should take that onto A2 now if the sixth form let me?
Original post by Tj789
I want to hopefully take on History and English Lit to A2 (doubt it though) but I have a B in RS do you think I should take that onto A2 now if the sixth form let me?

Having one of either Psychology or Sociology is fine (depending on what subject you wanna read at Cambridge) but dropping one of English Lit or History and keeping Psychology and Sociology could lead to questions at interview...
Original post by Dylann

The average is 96%, not 93%.
Original post by Dylann

Yeah, I wasn't certain so I said 'I believe' at the end. OP should aim for as high as possible regardless.

I'm using the statistic given to me by a senior admissions tutor for natural sciences a couple of months ago.
Reply 15
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm using the statistic given to me by a senior admissions tutor for natural sciences a couple of months ago.

Then it's likely that was applicants for natural sciences. A few months ago I was also told by an admissions tutor that it was 93% across all departments

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending