The Student Room Group

Why do you want to do medicine?

This post may seem a bit random but I just had this thought, why do so many people want to study medicine?
Each year so many people apply for medicine and the competition for this course increases but I honestly don't buy that so many people just want to help.
In all honesty I believe most people have other motives, maybe they feel forced by their parents, they are driven by the well-paid secure employment or the respect gained from others, once they find out you are a medic. But is there anything wrong with that? After all why shouldn't one want the reassurance, that after all their struggles they will have their just reward, a medical degree.
And I'm not speaking as an outsider, this year I will be applying for medicine and the more I think about it, the more I realise that it is not just my love for people that is truly driving me to pursue medicine. I too want that Dr. title and put myself through this gruelling application process to try and achieve it. With that title I will be well-paid, respected and making my parents proud.
However like many other medic hopefuls this side of the story will be hidden and I will only tell Unis what they want to hear. After all, the truth probably didn't get many people into medical school.
So after all of this my question is, what would your personal statement really say if there was no penalisation for the truth? Why do you really want to do medicine?
(edited 9 years ago)
So I can look inside people.
Original post by JustAnotherMe
This post may seem a bit random but I just had this thought, why do so many people want to study medicine?
Each year so many people apply for medicine and the competition for this course increases but I honestly don't buy that so many people just want to help.
In all honesty I believe most people have other motives, maybe they feel forced by their parents, they are driven by the well-paid secure employment or the respect gained from others, once they find out you are a medic. But is there anything wrong with that? After all why shouldn't one want the reassurance, that after all their struggles they will have their just reward, a medical degree.
And I'm not speaking as an outsider, this year I will be applying for medicine and the more I think about it, the more I realise that it is not just my love for people that is truly driving me to pursue medicine. I too want that Dr. title and put myself through this gruelling application process to try and achieve it. With that title I will be well-paid, respected and making my parents proud.
However like many other medic hopefuls this side of the story will be hidden and I will only tell Unis what they want to hear. After all, the truth probably didn't get many people into medical school.
So after all of this my question is, what would your personal statement really say if there was no penalisation for the truth? Why do you really want to do medicine?

Because being a doctor takes the bedroom role play to a whole new level.
Original post by JustAnotherMe

You got to do what you go to do. A lot of people think like you, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is a reason that doctors are paid well. They need to attract the best because it is an important job for society.
You meet lots of people, develop and learn so many skills and of course you can make a difference, a good lifelong difference in some cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending