The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Transfer

Does anybody know if you can transfer to another course even another department( such as science to management) after one semester? Is RH flexible or strict?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually not anywhere after one semester: either in the first two weeks or so, if you meet the criteria for acceptance and there are places, and they accept you, or at the end of the first academic year, once you've passed all your first year modules, if they are convinced by your story about why you want to swap. You'll probably, for the swap you've asked about, then need to repeat your first year because the programmes are so different. Best to ring the admissions' office direct, though, and ask (not the department itself, because at the moment, this is something the central team will need to deal with)
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Cheryl0816
Does anybody know if you can transfer to another course even another department( such as science to management) after one semester? Is RH flexible or strict?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's the procedure. It will depend on the department you want to transfer to.

All I can say is that a guy I knew tried to transfer from Computer Science to Management during second week of the year but Management rejected. Originally he couldn't get into Business Studies so he applied to Computer Science instead thinking the transfer would be piece of cake. He left university straight after that.

I bet it's going to be impossible after first semester because you'll have missed out half of the year's course.
Reply 3
Original post by IHaveNoClue
Here's the procedure. It will depend on the department you want to transfer to.

All I can say is that a guy I knew tried to transfer from Computer Science to Management during second week of the year but Management rejected. Originally he couldn't get into Business Studies so he applied to Computer Science instead thinking the transfer would be piece of cake. He left university straight after that.

I bet it's going to be impossible after first semester because you'll have missed out half of the year's course.

So do you know the reason why management rejected ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by KatetheLecturer
Usually not anywhere after one semester: either in the first two weeks or so, if you meet the criteria for acceptance and there are places, and they accept you, or at the end of the first academic year, once you've passed all your first year modules, if they are convinced by your story about why you want to swap. You'll probably, for the swap you've asked about, then need to repeat your first year because the programmes are so different. Best to ring the admissions' office direct, though, and ask (not the department itself, because at the moment, this is something the central team will need to deal with)

thank you for your advice. I meet the academic requirement for the course I want to transfer. I think I want to try~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Are there any experiences for this issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So do you know the reason why management rejected ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently Business Studies was already full capacity, according to that guy. But I doubt that was the only reason.

tbh don't expect that the transfer will happen. A-level module requirements are different, and I highly doubt that any administrations would want to make easy exception by letting students transfer freely.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

It is highly unlikely you will be able to transfer from one department to another, especially after one semester. After one semester you will have missed out on the course's compulsory modules which would mean you would not pass the year. If a transfer is possible, it is more likely to happen during the first two weeks of term when you will not have progressed too far into the course, and it would be simpler to do an internal transfer within the same department.

If you had a very strong case on transferring after one semester, it is possible you would be asked to do an interruption which means you would take a gap and start the new course in the next academic year.

What is your current course and the new one you would want to transfer into?
Reply 8
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi,

It is highly unlikely you will be able to transfer from one department to another, especially after one semester. After one semester you will have missed out on the course's compulsory modules which would mean you would not pass the year. If a transfer is possible, it is more likely to happen during the first two weeks of term when you will not have progressed too far into the course, and it would be simpler to do an internal transfer within the same department.

If you had a very strong case on transferring after one semester, it is possible you would be asked to do an interruption which means you would take a gap and start the new course in the next academic year.

What is your current course and the new one you would want to transfer into?

My current course is mathematics and I want to transfer to Economics. Is it possible to apply transfer after 1month of the first term if I can catch up the course during the first month?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My current course is mathematics and I want to transfer to Economics. Is it possible to apply transfer after 1month of the first term if I can catch up the course during the first month?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Firstly, did you get your place in Maths through the main scheme or did you come via Clearing? (You can personal message me if you prefer!)

If you really want to request to transfer I highly recommend you do this sooner rather than later. If you ask to transfer before term starts please contact our Admissions Office on [email protected] or +44 (0)1784 414944.

However, if you want to request to transfer after one month or one semester, the decision is then down to the Economics department who will see whether or not they have vacancies and if you can catch up from the missed modules and content.

I hope that helps,

Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending