I was arrested at 17. Can I still become an RAF Pilot? Watch

Cpt Jack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,
For a few years now I've been interested in joining the RAF. I am 21 years old and I meet all the requirements to be eligible to apply to become an RAF Pilot.

My only worry is that at the age of 17 I was arrested on the way to a festival for possession of Cannabis, and due to being underage, was taken to a police station and processed.

I hadn't tried the drug before that (nor since), but thought a trip to a festival would be a good time, as a lot of young people do. I had no idea what I wanted to do as an occupation at that point either. Unfortunately I was searched by a sniffer dog on my way into a coach station and immediately owned up to having possession of it.

Whilst being processed in the police station, the police officers were comforting and told me that once I turned 18 my record would be wiped, and that I would never have to declare that the incident occurred.

However I would assume that the RAF background checks are thorough and that they would find out.

Therefore I am asking;
1) Am I still eligible to apply?
2) Should I admit if asked that I arrested at 17?
3) Would admitting it have an effect on my selection?
4) Should I say nothing and hope they never find out?

Thanks
Jack
xmertic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got arrested when I was 14 or 15 I think, for something which was somewhat serious for my age anyway. I didn't get any criminal convictions though, just had to attend some classes and my record was wiped when I turned 18 (now 19). So to answer your question, so long as you didn't get any convictions because of it you don't have to admit to it and it's as if you never did it in the eyes of the law pretty much.
Cpt Jack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yeah but this is the RAF. Surely they are more strict about these kinds of things, especially considering how strict the requirements already are?
Pectorac
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cpt Jack)
Yeah but this is the RAF. Surely they are more strict about these kinds of things, especially considering how strict the requirements already are?
Why don't you take the proactive approach and phone them to ask then? Nobody on here is going to know if your individual circumstances are going to affect your chances of admission.
xmertic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cpt Jack)
Nope, there isn't. I wanted to join the army till I was like 16? So I did the research and you'll be fine They can ask if you've been arrested but if you didn't get convicted there is no legal obligation for you to say.
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could apply for the banter.
Schleigg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just come clean and tell the recruiter. It's unlikely it would be a bar to you entering but at least you'll get the official answer and not need to wonder any more!
LeicesterStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone and their mum wants to be an RAF pilot. They reckon they need 16,000 people to walk into an AFCO for every one pilot they train to completion.

You need to ask yourself - namely so you can convince the recruiters - why they should employ you over someone with a perfect record, been in Air Cadets all their life, done an Aerospace degree etc.
Opts
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wouldn't it be spent anyway? Pretty sure its only legal / dental / medical branches that require you to declare spent and unspent convictions?

Don't take this as gospel though, I'm no legal expert!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads