The Student Room Group

C Grades at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
I, personally, consider Cs very bad. Anything below an A and I would be upset.

As awful as this sounds, I really do not understand how it's possible to do badly enough in GCSEs to get a C. If you get Cs, it's just from a lack of trying hard or revision.

That's unfair
Reply 41
As awful as this sounds, I really do not understand how it's possible to do badly enough in GCSEs to get a C. If you get Cs, it's just from a lack of trying hard or revision.

I don't get that. There are several grades that are even lower than a C (D, E, F, G, U).
Original post by lizzcelby
That's unfair

Why?

Original post by KettleMan
I don't get that. There are several grades that are even lower than a C (D, E, F, G, U).

Yes, and they're bad too. To some people, an E is good. To others, an A is bad. It all depends on the individual and what sort of grades they aim for. I don't aim for Cs, so in my opinion, Cs are bad. Simple. There's nothing not to get...
Reply 43
Why?

Yes, and they're bad too. To some people, an E is good. To others, an A is bad. It all depends on the individual and what sort of grades they aim for. I don't aim for Cs, so in my opinion, Cs are bad. Simple. There's nothing not to get...

I understand that you think Cs are bad. That's not what I was confused at. What I didn't get was when you said "i don't know how it's possible to do that badly", to which I was pointing out that there are many grades even worse than a C.
It depends on your academic ability. If all you're capable of is getting a C and you get a C, it's great. However if you're capable of getting an A* and you get a C, it's terrible.
I understand that you think Cs are bad. That's not what I was confused at. What I didn't get was when you said "i don't know how it's possible to do that badly", to which I was pointing out that there are many grades even worse than a C.

Ok. I'll give you an example:

When I did my GCSEs last year, the Edexcel igcse grade boundaries for a C for some of the subjects I did were as follows:

Mathematics: 25/100 (25%)
Physics: 80/180 (44%)
Geography: 67/150 (45%)
Biology: 78/180 (43%)

Understand what I'm getting at? 25% is disgustingly bad, as is 43%, as is 44% as is 45%. If you can't get more than 45% in an exam, then "I don't how it's possible to do that badly"
If Cs can get u into uni and college/sixth form then it's definitely good if Cs were that bad then getting a C in English and maths wouldn't be compulsory if it was that bad then u would probably have to get an A* in ur subjects so to anyone who got a C in their gcse well done don't let anyone make u feel as
if u did disgustingly bad because u didn't! :smile:
Reply 47
Ok. I'll give you an example:

When I did my GCSEs last year, the Edexcel igcse grade boundaries for a C for some of the subjects I did were as follows:

Mathematics: 25/100 (25%)
Physics: 80/180 (44%)
Geography: 67/150 (45%)
Biology: 78/180 (43%)

Understand what I'm getting at? 25% is disgustingly bad, as is 43%, as is 44% as is 45%. If you can't get more than 45% in an exam, then "I don't how it's possible to do that badly"

Well for History IGCSE Edexcel you need 55% for a C... so a bit higher than those others
Well for History IGCSE Edexcel you need 55% for a C... so a bit higher than those others

that's still low though. If you're getting 60s then fine, but anything below is bad.
Reply 49
I may be wrong, but from what I know people will always have to get C even if everyone worked really hard and revised really hard they won't all get A*'s, A's and B's. Because doesn't the exam board only give out a certain number of A*'s and A's depending on how hard the exam was. So if everyone did really well in an exam and most got 80% you would probably need 80% for a C. Then again I'm not 100% how it really works...
well congratulations to you? I'm confused as to how aiming high makes me 'an idiot bit'. I consider Cs bad. So what? It's my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm correct, nor does it mean I'm wrong. You're free to think whatever you like, but I'm not going shut the **** up to make you feel better about your poor grades.

Yes but I quote "If you get Cs, it's just from a lack of trying hard or revision." I revised loads and I got 6C's 2 D's and 2B's I revised so hard so please shut up
Reply 51
Original post by stimpy27
Yes but I quote "If you get Cs, it's just from a lack of trying hard or revision." I revised loads and I got 6C's 2 D's and 2B's I revised so hard so please shut up

You revised loads? Can you tell me how much you revised?

Getting a D means that you don't understand over 40% of the content, which is a lot. I believe that you are trying hard, but I'd advise you to think about your revision method. :smile:
C's are OK! I go to a private school where people may turn their noses up at a C, however I also have a job where I work with 'normal' people who would be over the moon with a C. I think if you compare your results to what you were predicted it will give you a good idea of how well, as an individual, you have done.

From my own experience I did well in my GCSE's (7A* and 3As) but I'm struggling with A Levels. Maybe I picked the wrong subjects?
But I would be careful, if you finds GCSEs hard A levels get so much harder.

But again. Purely personal experience.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends totally on the person, 100%. One of my close friends is predicted 15 A*'s and when she got an A in her ISA it was the end of the world, whereas a different friend is a d/e average and is just aiming to scrape a C and pass and would be estatic to get straight C's. It's unfair to criticise high achievers by saying they should be happy with a B when it's not their own personal target, just in the same way as it's unfair to say to someone who worked straight for 3 months to get a C that "they didn't work hard enough". Everybody is different and his different goals, so it's subjective :smile:
believe me I was delighted/ nay over the moon to get a C in my Art O level ( yes I am old ) It was a stupid subject to take when I was incapable of drawing even conclusions let alone piles of fruit.

The only paintbrush I pick up down is one to change the colours on the walls
For me a C is fine, it doesn't mean you're bad. I do to a performing arts school and we all get A*'s in our strands (eg: dance, music, art) but there's loads of dyslexic people here or generally not full for A students. We all try really hard, but only 5 people in a year of 300 where predicted more than 5 A's. I studied 6 months, 1-3 hours a day for my science and got a low B. I find it really hard to get good marks and I am happy getting a C if I know I've worked hard. Information just goes in better for some than others.
Original post by Ozzin
A motivational speaker came in and said his friends Dad told his friend:

A - Acceptable
B- Better
C - Crap

Pretty much how I view my GCSEs.

Those guys came to our school as well
what school do you go to?
It does depend on the subject.

I got mainly As and Bs in my GCSEs but really struggled with maths. My teacher in year 10 vanished one day. He was **** anyway, but after that we had 7 rubbish supply teachers for the rest of the year.
They gave us a proper teacher 4 weeks before the exam who tried to cram in a whole year's worth of work.
I got a U in the mock but with a lot of help from my dad at home I managed to scrape a C in the actual exam and was very happy I passed.

In the next exam I got a middle B and in the last I got a C again so I had a solid C overall and was very happy.

If I had got a C in say, biology, where I got an A I would be very upset and wonder what went wrong.
It depends. I think I am going to get a C in computer science and I am fine with that (although I am trying to get at least a B in it). However if I got a C in anything else I would be very disappointed.
Original post by dinglebells
getting a C in at least 3 subjects is enough for me to be disowned

I got a single C at GCSE and despite my 11A*/A and not actually getting it aggregated I'm still constantly reminded of it by people who mainly got Cs and were "happy" that they passed!

Quick Reply