The President of Great Britain and Northern Ireland- a discussion thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The House has decided that the Head of State should be an elected President. This is intended to be a discussion thread prior to the formal opening of the election.

I declared in my departure from the House that should the House decide that Great Britain and Northern Ireland become a republic, I would be a candidate for the Presidential post. The limitations of manifesto length in my opinion will preclude a discussion or view being given about all aspects of the position. The first President will in my view set a tone for all Presidents.

As I see it, the House has essentially decided to have an elected position fulfilling the role and duties held by the House of Windsor since 1917 and its predecessors since 1688 (or before) in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The House of Windsor's role in countries outside Great Britain and Northern Ireland is unchanged, so the Head of State in Australia is Queen Elizabeth II, for example. In the Act there is provision for living accommodation for the Queen of Australia (and other countries), who is head of the Church of England, defender of the faith and head of the Commonwealth, none of which changes.

I put forward my candidacy as a person for the non-partisan role that the Head of State should have, representing the country at times of celebration, mourning and remembrance. Over the next four years the centenary of the Great War will be remembered in a number of events home and overseas where the President can be a representative for the country.

A modest living and modest residence should be provided for the President, not the expansive living found in some other countries, which can be divisive and draw the President into political life unnecessarily.

To further depoliticise the role I would not see the President as having any role in the appointment of the Government, not awarding any of the honours in the direct gift of the Head of State to serving politicians, and would not wish for a regular audience with the Prime Minister. The members of the House of Windsor other than the Queen of Australia have roles as patrons of charities or in the armed forces which it should not be the decision of the President as to whether they continue or not. If the Football Association wish for William Wales to be their patron, that is fine by me.

My final thought in my first set of thoughts for discussion is that should a future Parliament decide on a different method of choosing the Head of State, I would accept their decision gracefully, even if it ended my term of office.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:congrats:
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
It'd be good to see what ambitions that the government had for the role? If they are now able to answer the questions regarding the Presidency now the vote is out of the way

Is the President to be an active role in the game?

How will a President be selected? Is it a patronage appointment, similar to a Governor General is appointed or through an election?

Is it to be a Parliamentary republic with a Ceremonial or Executive Presidential system?

Presidential powers? Appointment / removal of ministers - Propose legislation to the House? Veto?

Term length? Term Limit?
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You [probably] have my vote!
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
President Barnetlad has my vote
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think this election'll be too closely contested, I'll say that.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves here :sherlock:

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
I don't think this election'll be too closely contested, I'll say that.
Why thank you, I'll act surprised when I'm announced as POTUK
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Barnetlad is applying for presidency? Would never have known.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think we are close to having an election yet though.
Youthmhoc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
I don't think we are close to having an election yet though.
What's the point of abolishing the monarchy and not replacing them with something?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Youthmhoc)
What's the point of abolishing the monarchy and not replacing them with something?
It could equally be argued that there's no point in abolishing the monarchy if you're just going to replace it with something.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the debate is fine here, but time-wise we should wait until after the election to continue.

I do call on the next government to obey this and continue the Presidential election, regardless of whether or not Labour are involved.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I shall happily take the office of president. With my executive power I shall ensure that Russia is a threat no longer.

I shall of course also use my power to strengthen my mandate much like the glorious Senator Palpatine. I shall even authorize the creation of a Clone Army to ensure the everlasting safety of our beloved Republic.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
With my executive power I shall ensure that Russia is a threat no longer.
While you'd attempt to subdue Russia, with myself as President I'd rather make money off of them than harm them, financially we'll all win but most of all, I'll win :russia:
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
I think the debate is fine here, but time-wise we should wait until after the election to continue.

I do call on the next government to obey this and continue the Presidential election, regardless of whether or not Labour are involved.
No government is committed to the actions of previous governments, elections or referenda.

Is there no way that you as prime minister could kick off some sort of cross party convention or discussion on how a republic is going to work within the system, otherwise the question is asked, why pass it now if you're going to look at it later, when you may no longer be in government. What did you envisage about the role in your discussions, surely you had some in the government forum?

If time is what you're worried about can't we make this a seven month parliament have the election in October and ensuring we're on sync with the May 2015 real life election,

Is it not worth considering (regardless of my disdain for how it has come about) that the launch of a TSR Republic gives a chance for essentially a relaunch of the whole game. New constitution, New GD, etc.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
No government is committed to the actions of previous governments, elections or referenda.

Is there no way that you as prime minister could kick off some sort of cross party convention or discussion on how a republic is going to work within the system, otherwise the question is asked, why pass it now if you're going to look at it later, when you may no longer be in government. What did you envisage about the role in your discussions, surely you had some in the government forum?

If time is what you're worried about can't we make this a seven month parliament have the election in October and ensuring we're on sync with the May 2015 real life election,

Is it not worth considering (regardless of my disdain for how it has come about) that the launch of a TSR Republic gives a chance for essentially a relaunch of the whole game. New constitution, New GD, etc.
Since the GE takes adds two weeks to the start of each term, we should be bang on as it is.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I shall happily take the office of president. With my executive power I shall ensure that Russia is a threat no longer.

I shall of course also use my power to strengthen my mandate much like the glorious Senator Palpatine. I shall even authorize the creation of a Clone Army to ensure the everlasting safety of our beloved Republic.
:rolleyes:
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
It'd be good to see what ambitions that the government had for the role? If they are now able to answer the questions regarding the Presidency now the vote is out of the way

Is the President to be an active role in the game?

How will a President be selected? Is it a patronage appointment, similar to a Governor General is appointed or through an election?

Is it to be a Parliamentary republic with a Ceremonial or Executive Presidential system?

Presidential powers? Appointment / removal of ministers - Propose legislation to the House? Veto?

Term length? Term Limit?
My thoughts on these

Is the President to be an active role in the game? I was thinking not as much as a government minister, probably reporting via a thread on the activities, visits, and messages- so for example I would report on my visit to WW1 commemorations in Belgium, or advise that I had contacted the Head of State of a country where there had been a major disaster to offer sympathy.

How will a President be selected? Is it a patronage appointment, similar to a Governor General is appointed or through an election? I thought we'd decided that the MHofC chooses by an election

Is it to be a Parliamentary republic with a Ceremonial or Executive Presidential system? Ceremonial I thought, similar to the Irish or German President

Presidential powers? Appointment / removal of ministers - Propose legislation to the House? Veto? Same as the Queen of Australia, i,e no role in appointment of ministers, no proposing of legislation, veto technically but not used I expect.

Term length? Term Limit Doesn't the Act say that?
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Youthmhoc)
If there's little point in keeping a monarchy the way it is, and changing it to a president does not change that. That's why I'd support having a president as a transitional measure but not a long-term measure. There's no point in the long-term having a German-like president.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed