Police Experiences?

Watch
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was interested in the police experiences from other TSR members - mine have been mixed, but interestingly, have had similar treatment within the same constabulary.

GMP (Greater Manchester Police) were brilliant when my phone had been pickpocketed from my on Market Street when I was 16, and used the GPS within the phone to locate it, and I had it back by the end of the day. I had one other encounter with GMP when I was mistaken for a robber because I was wearing the same jacket and had the same hairstyle; they were very friendly and apologetic after they lifted me up from the pavement.

Metropolitan police I've encountered a couple of times and have always been greeted with the same impersonal, cold and almost robotic personalities. Very little sense of compassion or human emotion, but no sense of vindictiveness either.

Bedfordshire police, under whom I currently live, have been nothing short of absolute horrible folks. First run in was when I was doing some landscape photography on my front wall - beautiful red sunset over the country cottages and smoking chimneys. I was set up with all my gear - tripods, spare lenses and spare body, light meter, I was at the time running a 7D with 70-200mm L lens so evidently not some random chav, plus I have quite a well-spoken accent, but a police car pulled up, the driver got out and drew a taser on me, screamed "Get the **** down off the wall before I tase you!". It was quite unexpected. I tried to explain that I lived there, but they weren't having any of it, and made me lie down face-down on the side of the road outside my properly, leaving all my camera gear at the other end of the driveway unattended, until they took my address down and confirmed I lived at the address.

The other time with Beds police was when I was running to catch my mum up for the train - she'd left her umbrella at home and asked me to run it down to the station (only round the corner), but on my way down police came up and bundled me to the floor, scraped my cheek across a brick wall and said they were restraining me for a "Section 5 Public Order Offence". I sat there doing nothing for a few minutes, then they released me, saying "Get the **** out of here and don't let me see you again, I know your face." and I didn't hear anything else afterwards.

So yeah, personally, GMP have been great, Met have been oddly neutral, and Beds have been psychos.

How about your experiences?
Hachik0
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Inb4HateOnPolice
mattwilkins
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've only had one incident with the police. He drove round a corner as I was in the middle of a 3 point turn and pulled me over to ask why I'd stopped perpendicular to the road I explained and he seemed satisfied. Didn't help that I'd only passed my test the week before and I was driving my not-quite-sober parents home from dinner...

Apart from that a PCSO once asked me and my friends to be quiet as there were houses near the park where we were drinking under age... he was a nice guy!
XMaramena
Rep:
?
(Original post by mattwilkins)
I've only had one incident with the police. He drove round a corner as I was in the middle of a 3 point turn and pulled me over to ask why I'd stopped perpendicular to the road I explained and he seemed satisfied. Didn't help that I'd only passed my test the week before and I was driving my not-quite-sober parents home from dinner...

Apart from that a PCSO once asked me and my friends to be quiet as there were houses near the park where we were drinking under age... he was a nice guy!
Whereabouts was this?
I applied to be an SPC once, but it was refused as I own several businesses.
mattwilkins
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by XMaramena)
Whereabouts was this?
I applied to be an SPC once, but it was refused as I own several businesses.
Both incidents were in Hampshire. I'm actually pretty sure I knew the PCSO but it was dark and I was in no state to be recognising people...
XMaramena
Rep:
?
(Original post by mattwilkins)
Both incidents were in Hampshire. I'm actually pretty sure I knew the PCSO but it was dark and I was in no state to be recognising people...
You were driving drunk? I've driven whilst drinking just once - and that was simply within a gated community just moving a friend's car from the next door neighbours driveway onto the side of the road so a friend could have space to park, because he was completely paralytic and I'd only had three small cans of beer.
mattwilkins
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You were driving drunk? I've driven whilst drinking just once - and that was simply within a gated community just moving a friend's car from the next door neighbours driveway onto the side of the road so a friend could have space to park, because he was completely paralytic and I'd only had three small cans of beer.
No not at all these were two separate incidents. The PCSO incident was before I was even old enough to drive. He was the one I think I recognised.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've never had any negative experiences with the police. My dealings with them so far have been because I've been a victim of (or witness to) a crime or relating to lost property.
Rosasaurr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
West Yorkshire police. Good. Sometimes bad, but generally very loving :P (my dad works for the police :3)

Had a few conversations with PCSOs around home and they've always been nice and pleasant.

GMP - my flatmate got arrested in halls and they were really nice and talking to us about uni etc and they kept apologising for keeping us up until they got statements.

I guess I've always had positive police experiences but then I've never really done anything to warrant a negative one
ruthlessv
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm an 18 year old Asian from Bradford.

take a guess.
XMaramena
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthlessv)
I'm an 18 year old Asian from Bradford.

take a guess.
This thread, as specified very clearly on the OP, is not for people to start throwing around race cards. If you've had specific experiences, then by all means, share.
XMaramena
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manitude)
I've never had any negative experiences with the police. My dealings with them so far have been because I've been a victim of (or witness to) a crime or relating to lost property.
I've never had experience with police as an offender either, but had my fair share of nastiness!

Good to know that you've had good experience too though.
ronmack
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I once got handcuffed by cops
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never had any bad experiences with the police, to be honest.
frankthebunny
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A woman crashed into an Arab man and the police came to sort it out and she kept shouting "You ****," at the Arab and the police didn't say anything to her. The man and women were on opposite ends of the cars so she had to have shout quite loudly for the man to hear. Quite disappointing really.
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GMP have been useless and horrible for me.

Few years back about 6 teenage guys broke into our back garden, messed about, threatened my nana, threatened to steal the car. My nana who lived with us was terrified. My mum was at work that night and tried the police but they brushed it off.

The next night, my mum was at home with us and they broke into the garden again. This time, my mum chased them off where they threatened to stab her etc. We phoned the police yet again where they said they would send people round but we shouldn't of phoned them. We got 2 PCSO's the next morning who did nothing yet again and that was the end of it. Just told us to write down any occurrences.

Since, we've had teenage boys throw stones at the window, try and intimidate us and come into the garden. It is beyond a joke, we don't even go to the police any more because it became the norm and they never ever did anything apart from tell us not to phone them unless it was more serious.
XMaramena
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiiiiie)
GMP have been useless and horrible for me.

Few years back about 6 teenage guys broke into our back garden, messed about, threatened my nana, threatened to steal the car. My nana who lived with us was terrified. My mum was at work that night and tried the police but they brushed it off.

The next night, my mum was at home with us and they broke into the garden again. This time, my mum chased them off where they threatened to stab her etc. We phoned the police yet again where they said they would send people round but we shouldn't of phoned them. We got 2 PCSO's the next morning who did nothing yet again and that was the end of it. Just told us to write down any occurrences.

Since, we've had teenage boys throw stones at the window, try and intimidate us and come into the garden. It is beyond a joke, we don't even go to the police any more because it became the norm and they never ever did anything apart from tell us not to phone them unless it was more serious.
That's very odd, I had practically the opposite experiences from GMP - even when they thought I was a criminal! Sorry you had that experience!

Personally, I have adequate personal security on my home to deter would-be attackers if they got past the locks.
katiiiiie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's very odd, I had practically the opposite experiences from GMP - even when they thought I was a criminal! Sorry you had that experience!

Personally, I have adequate personal security on my home to deter would-be attackers if they got past the locks.
I live in North Manchester if that makes any difference. I've had a few pleasant experiences with them, when our car got crashed into a police officer helped to check our tyres/put the spare one on which was nice of him.

We got a massive fence put up after they had came in but the problem is we live behind a church with a small fence, they won't allow us to put in a bigger one, so the teenagers come in from the back of the church.
XMaramena
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiiiiie)
I live in North Manchester if that makes any difference. I've had a few pleasant experiences with them, when our car got crashed into a police officer helped to check our tyres/put the spare one on which was nice of him.

We got a massive fence put up after they had came in but the problem is we live behind a church with a small fence, they won't allow us to put in a bigger one, so the teenagers come in from the back of the church.
I lived in the city centre - was at boarding school right between Market Street and Victoria station.

Currently in the village though, we keep personal weapons for the family that are available in case things don't work out so well with me - I trained in Krav for 5 years while living in the middle east. Only had to use them once in the year I've been living here, when some chavs tried to make off with my dad's BMW, Didn't discharge it, it was as much of a deterrent as I needed it to be.
katiiiiie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I lived in the city centre - was at boarding school right between Market Street and Victoria station.

Currently in the village though, we keep personal weapons for the family that are available in case things don't work out so well with me - I trained in Krav for 5 years while living in the middle east. Only had to use them once in the year I've been living here, when some chavs tried to make off with my dad's BMW, Didn't discharge it, it was as much of a deterrent as I needed it to be.
I live about 10 mins from the city centre so I wouldn't imagine the policing to be much different, ah well :rolleyes: The chavs in Manchester are just on another level. I can't even describe how disrespectful they are. As soon as I can I am out of here :bl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (161)
14.47%
I'm not sure (50)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.65%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (539)
48.43%

Watched Threads